Force Breaking to Retrieve

Sevensetters

Force Breaking to Retrieve

Post by Sevensetters » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:56 pm

I am Force breaking my setter, she will hold the buck in her mouth without any trouble; however she will walk the the table with it, I have never had this trouble before, what should I do to get to get her moving?

Timewise65

Re: Force Breaking to Retrieve

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:09 am

Part of the FF routine that I know, is to have the dog, quickly pick up the buck quickly with urgency, when you lay it on the table and command fetch. This of course demonstrates that the dog understands the trained desire to pick up the puck (game) when told to fetch. The next phase after this is to place the buck further away from the dog on the table forcing the pup to move to do the 'fetch'!...This then leads to a walking routine at heel with bumpers laid out so as you walk you command fetch and the dog follows that command.

Without seeing what your dog is doing, I have to speculate above. It may also be that your pup has not learned the hold command, which means hold in your mouth until I ask for it. If your pup is dropping the puck when you start to move her, that would suggest the hold command is not yet locked in.

Good luck