VIDEO: Higgins Gundogs, Beginning Bracework

Higgins

VIDEO: Higgins Gundogs, Beginning Bracework

Post by Higgins » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Here are William and Nigel in the field this morning. This is their first time together working birds. Before beginning their brace work, both were shown individually, that stalking and steadiness lead to success. Now it's time to turn them loose and see what choices they make. No voice commands (whoa, etc.), no hand signals, whistles or electric collars are used. I like what I see.

https://youtu.be/u_ddrDdlpLs

I'll post more video soon of our bracework including sending the dogs in to flush (our 'flush/stop" cue), and retrieving with multiple dogs.

There was a recent topic here discussing my "Magic Brushpile" training. We can discuss that here too if anyone likes. The MBP, free will bracework, our "flush/stop" on cue, etc. are all a result of building trust and cooperation.

I hope you enjoy the video.

Brad Higgins
http://www.HigginsGundogs.com

mask

Re: VIDEO: Higgins Gundogs, Beginning Bracework

Post by mask » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:48 pm

Thanks for sharing.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:04 am

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate your videos and your taking the time to make and post them.

I started the mbp thread and have 2 questions for you-
1 What does it take to get the dog to stand still on the check cord as you approach the mbp and gunner and remain still when you bring the bird back?

2 Can the same be accomplished with just a launchet placed where the dog is unable to scent the bird

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Hello Weimdogman,

You asked, "1 What does it take to get the dog to stand still on the check cord as you approach the mbp and gunner and remain still when you bring the bird back ?".

It usually takes just a few birds and two or three sessions. A dogs past history can have a big influence on how many birds it takes. For instance, I have clients bring me dogs they want me to fix that have had extensive obedience and "whoa" training. Some are nervous, lack style, flag, etc. Because there is no obedience, pressure or commands in my method, these type of dogs come around quickly but may take an extra session or two. Remember, as I state in the video, the MBP is not a pointing drill. There is no scent involved. It is used to help the dogs build trust that the shooter is there to help them be successful.

Your second question: "2 Can the same be accomplished with just a launcher placed where the dog is unable to scent the bird".

Some dogs, after being shown how to be successful on the MBP, will try, once or twice, to rush the brush pile when I drop the checkcord. They want to see if they can be successful on their own. The brush pile is fenced so that in this instance, the dog loses. I'll just go to his checkcord, bring him back, and show him again that steadiness leads to success. I never punish mistakes. I just show them and reward them for making the right decisions.

Hope this helps.

Brad Higgins
http://www.HigginsGundogs.com
Last edited by Higgins on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks again.