One year old Chesapeake retrieve question

rrjfish8

One year old Chesapeake retrieve question

Post by rrjfish8 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:03 am

I have a Chesapeake that just turned a year old that I have recently noticed won’t pick up a bird off dry land. I have only had her on a few hunts and the first was open water with no problem retrieving. On my next hunt I was hunting a tidal marsh that is dry on low tide and when I sent her on two retrievers on birds on dry land she wouldn’t pick them up. Later when I dropped birds in water it was no problem again. Is this a problem thatothers have had? Is it best to throw dead birds onto land for her. On the other hand I was able to get some birds for my labs 12th season.Thanks for any help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: One year old Chesapeake retrieve question

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Actually, your first problem is, it isn't a Chesapeake.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:37 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Actually, your first problem is, it isn't a Chesapeake.
Sure looks like a Chessie to me. A muddy one at that.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:18 am

Since it's posted in wrong size, I looked at dog on left, didn't see one on right. Oops.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:13 pm

I think your problem is pretty easy to figure out. You "just noticed" it doesn't pick up birds on land and "have only had it out hunting a few times". A dog requires training. You can't just take it hunting and expect it to know what to do. Get on the basics and start doing dry land retrieves. I'd also be force fetching before hunting anymore. If a dog doesn't comply to a command you need to have it do 7 more repetitions successfully just to cancel out that one imperfection. Get training, it's just as rewarding as hunting is.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:26 am

I have owned and trained Retrievers for over 25 years. I also, over the years, worked with professional trainers to help me learn how to train properly. Training a dog properly is a process that takes month of consistent effort by someone who knows how to train retrievers. As already mentioned Force Fetching (FF) as part of the training program us commonly required. The type of behavior you are dealing with will likely be resolved by having a pro FF you pup.

Their are many good retriever programs available that you could purchase of download on the internet. If you have the time, commitment and money, let me know if you want a few options on good retriever training programs I would be glad to give you a lead on the ones I like. Even after you train your pup, continuing a training program is important throughout the dogs life to reinforce good and safe habits.

Good Luck

rrjfish8

Post by rrjfish8 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:28 am

Sorry I didn’t notice my photo was sized wrong, I won’t pay someone to train my dog and that is why I am asking for a few tip on a small problem that I have ran across from more experienced dog trainers. Thanks for any tips I may get.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:33 pm

Try a clip wing pigeon on land so the dog has to chase it. I'd be a lot of money he'll bore right in and grab it. That being said, he's a retriever and should be trained in a sequential program. I would suggest Fowl Dawgs or Evan Grahams Smart Works series. All you really need is obedience and force fetch, not the entire nine yards.

rrjfish8

Post by rrjfish8 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:30 pm

She just seemed to be a little better this weekend. I only dropped birds over water bottle I did throw a couple for her on land. Again I’m not much for playing with birds while hunting and at home things are a little different environment. I have trained step-by-step with water dog timelines but have found she does hang up more than my lab did, That being said once I figure out how to get to her she makes Progression faster till another hang up. I find the hangups fun because I need to think on how to get to her. Thank you guys for the help