Dog Peeing

ddoyle

Dog Peeing

Post by ddoyle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:18 am

Folks,
I have a year old Vizslas my son got a GSP in August. They were together for the whole summer with no issues. Now when he comes back from college the dogs pees around the house. To clarify right away I don’t think he is marking as it is more like dribbling as he moves about the house. Don’t believe it is BI as only happens at our house otherwise 100% housebroken
Doyle

isonychia

Re: Dog Peeing

Post by isonychia » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:26 am

Dogs are pretty good at hiding marking. If it is just a dribble I would still think marking. Try cleaning your carpet with a steam cleaner with vinegar in it.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:05 pm

Thank you for the reply! Dribbling more describes the moving while peeing...it is a larger amount.
Doyle

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:20 pm

To Clarify, its your sons GSP, that lives at college, and when he comes back, pees? Or is it your Viszla, that lives with you, and pees when the GSP comes back.

Have either of them been neutered?

A vet visit may be in order to rule out a medical cause, but I'd be inclined to call it marking. The dogs are adolescents and thusly there's a good chance that you didn't see the behavior previously due to age.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:31 pm

Thank you F Vizsla mine M GSP my kids who comes back. The marking just throws me because he can literally be running around peeing. Thought I would check here before Vet as he has no problem with him back at college. Thanks guys!
Doyle

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Have the kid take the dog out to pee more often, and make sure the dog pretty much empties out; just a little squirt doesn't count.
Keep the dog under close supervision indoors, including being leashed to the kid's beltloops, so any marking can be immediately corrected. My daughter's little dog was a marker when they visited, and we had to watch him like a hawk.

I had a dog that for some reason began to stealth mark, and dragging him back to the puddle and giving him what-for stopped it. Lots of folks prefer to them in the act, but IMO the dog isn't stupid, and he knows the puddle is his. A couple few times of big Queen Beyotch doing NO PEE!!! fixed him right up.

This same dog also did the walking pee when he was outside and got distracted by something before he finished going. I wonder if the gsp is dribbling because he's trying to leave the scene of the crime before anyone notices? Kind of, Oops, shouldn't a done that! but I still gotta/wanna go.

Benefit of the doubt, do a vet check. Maybe his prostate is giving him grief.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:04 pm

ddoyle wrote:Thank you F Vizsla mine M GSP my kids who comes back. The marking just throws me because he can literally be running around peeing. Thought I would check here before Vet as he has no problem with him back at college. Thanks guys!
Well, to be honest, at one of my houses in College, I was happy if my human roommates didn't leak on the floor, much less animals.

That either sounds like an excited puppy that doens't know he's doing it, or a medical condition.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:44 pm

LOL Jonov

So the son comes back from college and the dog starts peeing?

Dog could be saying, " Okay son, you and me are claiming this place." or that's a red herring and the dog has a urinary infection. See the vet as step 1.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:15 pm

Thank you all! J I told my son the same thing....told him he was probably pissing all over their house and it is just too disgusting to notice!
Doyle

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:44 pm

LOL That could be too. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:39 am

It sounds a bit like a submission widdle to me . My daughters 9 months old GSP pup does this when she visits us . The pup widdles in submission to my own dogs and he widdles in submission to my wife and to me. He has done this since he was very young but it is a behaviour that is fading as he gets older. I never correct a pup or a young dog for a submission widdle . If a pup is corrected for widdling due to submission it may get the wrong message.....it may think it is not submitting very well so it widdles all the more !

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:58 pm

Thank you all!
Doyle