Retraining an old dog

RdHawg

Retraining an old dog

Post by RdHawg » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:36 pm

I've 2 12yo griffons. They hunted a bird farm with me till they were 4/5 and we've been out of the field since. Tried to take them out last year and this but they act like we are out for a stroll even when I've seen birds in the area. When I first trained them I was able to purchase birds from the farm but they have since closed. About 2 yrs ago we got backyard chickens which they've never chased - I wonder if that's confused their nose/reaction? Any tips how to get them reset?
We are located in the SF Bay Area.

Thanks, Brian (Noah and Neo)

gundogguy

Re: Retraining an old dog

Post by gundogguy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:19 am

If you did attempt to re-train. How many years of service do you expect to get in return?
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:24 am

If I am reading this right, It sounds like they have spent 8 years as couch potatoes. They are probably out of condition and lack interest in hunting.
You might try taking them out one at a time on some planted quail and shoot whatever you can. Maybe throw a few dead birds or clipped wings to try to get their interest back. Work on conditioning and birds.
The chickens likely have nothing to do with it. A lot of bird dogs live with birds in the yard but that does not diminish their interest in the field.
If they seem overly attached to each other, Maybe running each dog with a different dog who is a hunter would help. I think if they hunted earlier it might come back.
I suspect they are just old and lazy. I know that feeling. Good Luck........Cj

RdHawg

Post by RdHawg » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:20 pm

gundogguy wrote:If you did attempt to re-train. How many years of service do you expect to get in return?
cjhills wrote:I suspect they are just old and lazy. I know that feeling. Good Luck........Cj
Being as how I'm older and slower myself I think I might get another year or two with them. Mostly hunt hedgerows and two-tracks so they prolly won't see a lot of exhausting brush busting. After extended couch potatoeing together they are definitely co-dependent. I'm not looking to make world class trial dogs out of them - just need them to say"hey, there's a bird in there!"

Part of the drive being the kid(11) just got her license and I'd like her to gain an appreciation for her two dogs she's tolerated all her life..

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:23 pm

RdHawg wrote:
Part of the drive being the kid(11) just got her license and I'd like her to gain an appreciation for her two dogs she's tolerated all her life..
Being a Grandpa ..I can empathise .
Just take a walk with a gun and the dogs and the kid ..and let them do what they do ..! If it dont produce something , then You have gained a lot :wink: .
Regards
Robert

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:12 pm

Enjoy Your Thanks Giving .
I thought I would share an Old Dog ..with a Young Dog .
Handler/Owner has years of experience in the shooting field .....Done it for Years!!
Apologies for the length of the clip , But , some Ole timers like me require it spelling out ,and at slow time :wink:
Young dog , Old and Not ever to learn something every day .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krTbwcRb88Q

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:05 am

12 years old, been sitting for years; I wouldn't even bother. If I did anything, I'd only obedience train and condition the dog's and take what you get.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:42 pm

polmaise wrote:
RdHawg wrote:
Being a Grandpa ..I can empathise .
Just take a walk with a gun and the dogs and the kid ..and let them do what they do ..! If it dont produce something , then You have gained a lot :wink: .
Regards
Robert
X2
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett