Hello from Ohio

Bdabird

Hello from Ohio

Post by Bdabird » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:53 am

Hello all. I am fairly new to birds. Went with others years ago and really enjoyed watching the dogs work. Recently adopted a Golden/Brittany mix, 15 month old male weighed 54 lbs before burrs. Omg the burrs.

I am Marine Corps veteran and 52 yrs young. Live in southern Ohio and own 49 acres of wooded hills that I grew up hunting everything it produced, except the grouse that would scare the shi+ out of me as a kid.

I have been teaching basic obedience to Roz without stimulation. I did buy a Dogtra Arc e-collar, but have not used it yet until I do more research on the correct way to train.

Looking to gain information here to see if Roz or I have any potential. I would also like to find locals that I could possibly learn from. Would really like to see other dogs hunt.

And the journey begins. Thanks in advance. All info will be appreciated.

birddogger2

Re: Hello from Ohio

Post by birddogger2 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Welcome aboard.

This is a very diverse community of sportsmen with a wide, and fairly deep knowledge base. The reason most are on here is for fellowship and the opportunity to share what they know with the community. So... if you have questions ...ASK.

RayG

mask

Post by mask » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:25 pm

Welcome and ask away. You might get Training with Mo.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:31 am

Bdabird, Welcome to the group and thank you for your service. Sounds like you have quite the pup. If your dog has pointing instinct you might want to develop it, other wise it sounds like you'll have a good flusher. So obedience, staying in gun range and working on retrieving should be your goal. As to your burr problem in the coat, try some Pam sprayed on the coat and trimming feathering on the ears, belly and legs should help. Good luck and let us know how it is going.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:42 pm

Welcome Sir! Hope you and your canine buddy make lots of wonderful memories afield!

s223196

Post by s223196 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:52 pm

I live in southern Ohio too, there is a place in Greenup KY that you can pay to hunt for a reasonable price. My son and I took our GSP there, great place to train your dog.
I can see if I can find his phone number. Great ol guy, it's an old dairy farm.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:48 pm

A far better choice for burrs than Pam (which is a food) is ShowSheen Hair Polish (made for dogs) or Laser Sheen (for horses). Same stuff. Laser Sheen is concentrated (horses are big) and thus much cheaper, as you add water. Tack shop will have it or Amazon. They are high-tech silicone hair polishes. Fewer burrs will collect and will come out much more easily. Trim around feet.

Lots of good books out, but you'll likely end up with a flushing dog,so that's what you should be reading. imo. Keep him in gun range,work on recalls and directional signals.

Bdabird

Post by Bdabird » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks all for the welcome and information.

I have been working with Roz on recall on a 30’ line with and without e-collar. He does really well so far. In a relaxed state he responds to a 7 on the Dogtra Arc. Took him to our country place to see how he responds with distractions of scent and new area. Setting of 9 he recalls well. On and off line.

Took Roz to country while I had some chores to do. He stays in front of me mostly, within 40 yards, working left and right. Within the first 200 yards a grouse flushed. I was amazed, but did not get a shot off. As we went on I noticed I was walking a logging trail which deer had been using. I quickly got off the trail, but Roz seemed to want to stay on the trail. He soon opened the gap between us to about 80 yards. I am thinking he is trailing the deer so I try to recall him to no avail. Until stimulation of 25, he does recall. I then turned back the other direction and he stayed in front of me for another 100 yards. He then leaves me to take up the same location I recalled him from earlier. I got him to recall again and we returned to the vehicle. Tell me what I did wrong. Should I have went on or did I do the right thing.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:27 pm

Bdabird:
My biggest problem with ecollar recall is exactly what is happening with your dog. You need to do a lot more training with the ecollar on your dog. He must learn to respond to the collar. If you only use it when he does not respond verbally he will soon learn he does not need to respond to the verbal command and will only respond to the collar. You want to get him really good on the verbal in training and overlay it with the collar, then start with mild distractions and work up. Eventually he should learn to respond to the verbal and learn if he don't the ecollar will follow. I will take awhile and my take would be to keep him off the deer or just jolt him without the verbal so he don't learn he can blow you off. If he flushes a grouse don't try to call him back if he chases. Hopefully he will only chase a little ways and comeback. Always try not to train him to ignore you......Cj

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:11 am

The Perfect Start DVD provides excellent instruction on teaching the Here command, introducing an ecollar and then using it to proof the already trained Here command - as well as many other critical areas of training/introductions. Buying, studying and then applying it would be immediately and immensely valuable to you and your dog training at this juncture. Best of Luck with your pup.