GSP puppy training

northwoodshunter

GSP puppy training

Post by northwoodshunter » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:08 pm

I got my shorthair pup and he is a little over 9 weeks old now. He knows his name a little now. I call his name, if he looks and gives me his attention or comes to me I give him a treat. If he’s away and he just stops and looks I go give him a treat and then walk back wait for him to get distracted and do that same thing but then say come after and coax him to me. He’s doing okay in the house and he’s doing surprisingly well in the crate. I’m thinking more of when to start place training and when to start who’s training. I want to get him introduced to birds and light gunfire but it’s too cold where I live right now and have no available quail to do so at the moment. I’ve talked to the breeder some about the bird intro and place training but I’m definitely open to input. Also a big one is he bites a lot and I’m wondering how you all stop that. I’ve been grabbing his snout and holding it "bleep" and saying no. Wondering if there’s a better approach? Same as on chewing stuff he shouldn’t l?
Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP puppy training

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:32 pm

northwoodshunter wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:08 pm
I got my shorthair pup and he is a little over 9 weeks old now. He knows his name a little now. I call his name, if he looks and gives me his attention or comes to me I give him a treat. If he’s away and he just stops and looks I go give him a treat and then walk back wait for him to get distracted and do that same thing but then say come after and coax him to me. He’s doing okay in the house and he’s doing surprisingly well in the crate. I’m thinking more of when to start place training and when to start house training. I want to get him introduced to birds and light gunfire but it’s too cold where I live right now and have no available quail to do so at the moment. I’ve talked to the breeder some about the bird intro and place training but I’m definitely open to input. Also a big one is he bites a lot and I’m wondering how you all stop that. I’ve been grabbing his snout and holding it "bleep" and saying no. Wondering if there’s a better approach? Same as on chewing stuff he shouldn’t l?
Thanks
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

" If he’s away and he just stops and looks I go give him a treat and then walk back wait for him to get distracted and do that same thing but then say come after and coax him to me."
I think it is better to not give a treat unless he comes. If he ignores you , go and get him EVERYTIME and bring him to where you were and then a treat(maybe).

Imo , no birds or gunfire yet.

" when to start house training?"
Now. Take him out as often as you can and use a word for peeing/pooping. I use "hurry up!" Soon as the dogs hear that they do their business.

Good plan for biting ... be tough on him for that. He may be teething so something to chew on safely is essential.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:13 pm

He’s been doing pretty well with the house training. Better than my past puppies had. Yesterday he had some accidents. More than normal. I didn’t mean to say when to start house training. It was supposed to say “whoa” training but my phone autocorrected it. I’ve been doing crate, name, and house training with him and the retrieving work I initially mentioned. He’s been Biting a lot. Should I say come when I am doing the work with him name too or only say his name for now?

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:23 am

Also, he will be running his NA test in August at about 8 months&2 weeks of age.