excessive barking

dandrus1022

excessive barking

Post by dandrus1022 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:03 am

I have a 2 year old male brittany that barks excessively when other dogs come over to our house. He will jump up on the couch and into someones lap and bark at the dog. its not a mean bark, to me its a playful bark like hes trying to get the dog to play but he wont play with the other dog. he never has been aggressive to other dogs or people. ive tried everything i can think of to reprimand him but he just keeps at it. he will stop when you scold him but a few seconds later he is right back at it. i have a 4 year old female britt that he loves to play with. he is exercised daily so i know that its not lack of that. He is intact and my one friend said neutering will make it stop/help but i dont see that working? i just need some tips because im out of ideas. he does do it when just people are over at the house but its not as bad when there is another dog. When he is outside with other dogs he will run and play but still barks alot.

Steve007

Re: excessive barking

Post by Steve007 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:13 am

You are correct that neutering will certainly serve no purpose.

If you haven't looked into bark collars, you should. They are not the way they used to be, and generally start at such a low level of stimulation that you personally cannot even feel them. Some even work on “tones” and have no electrical components whatever.

Since your dog will become quiet when you scold him, you are within your rights to quiet him verbally, then to turn on his collar which he should already be wearing as you know another dog is coming over and let him remind himself that he's been told quiet.

Some dogs are just excitable (and you can see his point), but this is definitely worth trying. I don't generally let other dogs come to my house--why?-- ,so it may be an ongoing problem for you, but if it bothers you,you can correct this after letting him bark a little (he's within his rights,imo) and then telling him to be quiet.

As an aside, if you put some obedience training into him, you should eventually be able to put him in a down/stay , leaving him there until he calms down.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:24 am

We live on a very rural setting farm and have a gravel driveway with a sensor on it. When it goes off in the house my dog will jump up and run to the windows, whining. I use a Down command and he will do as instructed, become calm and not move until I release him. It has worked well for that situation and I agree with Steve007's suggestion that it would likely benefit your situation.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:24 am

Along with scolding, scruff him and give him a good shake. He doesn’t respect your verbal correction and needs to know you mean business. Be careful with a bark collar around other dogs; sometimes the dog receiving stim misdirects reaction to the zap and thinks the other dog did it. Can start a fight.

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:33 am

Steve007 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:13 am

If you haven't looked into bark collars, you should. They are not the way they used to be, and generally start at such a low level of stimulation that you personally cannot even feel them. Some even work on “tones” and have no electrical components whatever.

Since your dog will become quiet when you scold him, you are within your rights to quiet him verbally, then to turn on his collar which he should already be wearing as you know another dog is coming over and let him remind himself that he's been told quiet.

Some dogs are just excitable (and you can see his point), but this is definitely worth trying. I don't generally let other dogs come to my house--why?-- ,so it may be an ongoing problem for you, but if it bothers you,you can correct this after letting him bark a little (he's within his rights,imo) and then telling him to be quiet.

As an aside, if you put some obedience training into him, you should eventually be able to put him in a down/stay , leaving him there until he calms down.
im fine with him barking when people/dogs arrive at the house thats just what dogs do. just the excessive whinny barking when he wants to play or get attention needs to be corrected.

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:37 am

what i dont understand is that he barks at other dogs like he wants them to play but when the other dog wants to play he just walks away? the bark is the normal excited play with me bark. i should of added that its not the initial arrive of friends and there dogs its when we are hanging out he starts doing his barking thing. its worse when we are all sitting on the couch he will jump up on you and bark at the dogs

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:46 pm

Does it really matter why he's barking? You don't want the noise, make him stop.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:50 pm

dandrus1022 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:33 am
Steve007 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:13 am

im fine with him barking when people/dogs arrive at the house thats just what dogs do. just the excessive whinny barking when he wants to play or get attention needs to be corrected.
Your dog wouldn't be doing this unless it was getting him what he wanted. One of my dogs is a JRT. I don't think any dog knows better than he about how to get what he wants. :) What else can you do when your dog starts whining for attention? How about saying nothing, putting him in his crate and walking away , or....... Also do the opposite. When he is quiet call him over for attention.

I do use a mini bark collar too , usually when we have company and the dog needs to bark an alarm the whole time. It works great and I don't even recharge it anymore. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:09 pm

Get a bark collar....dogs bark for many reasons, and with a properly set back collar they will learn to stop, without a lot of pressure being applied!

Good Luck

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:50 pm

The guide dog people say you can't teach a dog not to bark on command unless you teach him to bark on command first. they say that a dog does not hear himself bark. I don't know. Bark collars seem to work but there might be a better way. I am quite sure if you yell at the dog for barking he just thinks you are joining in......CJ

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:27 pm

TT .
Touch and Timing.
You know when the back is going to happen ,that gives you an advantage. All you require to do is apply an interupter at the right time.Best thing available at any time is you.