Training an excitable dog?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Training an excitable dog?

Post by cjhills » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:58 am

GH:
Didn't say it was abuse. I use the heeling stick to give directions. i don't want the dog to fear it. Nothing against what you do. Just not what I do.....Cj

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:17 am

I use a heeling stick for retrievers when lining and casting in training . It is placed above the dogs head. When it is Calm,never when it is excited.
:P

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:15 pm

Not sure this dog needs ANY disciplinary action - no sticks, no pinch or choke collars, etc., in my perception. This young whippersnapper might just need direction, a job, a purpose, structure, a sense of self-worth.
I LOVE high energy pups or young dogs and wouldn't want anything else personally. Those dogs typically have the relentlessness, the gusto, the fire, the fabric, the drive, the passion which pairs well with my aspirations for a bird dog.
Give this dog an attainable small goal to whet his learning appetite, then...…...LOOK OUT :!:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:14 pm

Dog is three years old with three trainers, trained three different ways and probably kennel shy. He's no youngster at three and the quicker the owner gets a handle on, the easier his training will be. That's why I said to start over; hard to say HOW the dog was trained so train him the way YOU want.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:26 pm

Hard to say how the dog was trained before. Could have been what is advised. ?
😘🤔

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:56 am

Sorry...I didn't take into account the dog is 3 - my bad. OK, beat the snot out of him! Just kidding....!!
Gonehuntin, you make a good point. This poor dog has likely had all manner of leads, collars, etc. on him and I've no doubt he may have some screwed up marbles in his head. Take him back to square one to first assess if:
- you can utilize some of his past habits in a positive way,
- you can redirect some of those habits into a productive outcome,
- you have to re-train anew and specifically what that is?
I LOVE a challenge so, my attitude would carry me to a point. Dogs can read this too. So, rather than correcting/disciplining (which he may have had his share of - as Poly alluded - OR none-at-all???) I would go with a blank slate. Take the good as a plus and clearly identify what is unacceptable, BEFORE you design a strategy/path for success. Dogs need to have a self-serving incentive for change - provide ones that serve you both. :wink:

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:54 pm

No problem,common mistake "feathery",.Not having or receiving ,much less not even studying or knowing what history is or has been stated can often lead to ones own conclusions rather than a conclusion. 😎

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:39 pm

I would not care how the dog was trained or by how many trainers or if he was trained at all. The dogs life begin the day he met me. What happened before that is irrelevant....Cj

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Unfortunately, it is So often an issue with many and too readily are helpful soles to offer e=mc2,rather than a + or -...........