New to e-collars and bird dogs

work765

New to e-collars and bird dogs

Post by work765 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:31 pm

I know everyone says wait till a dog is about one year old for heavy training. What exactly is heavy training? Can my 9 month old female gsp take e-collar corrections with out ill effect? I’ve been doing basic obedience with her: Sit, heel, here, and whoa. Those are the only commands really. And drop it/ leave it. And she’s got them all down pretty darn good on a leash. But I’m worried that with the e collar the same commands could curb her drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: New to e-collars and bird dogs

Post by cjhills » Sat May 04, 2019 5:03 am

Learn how to use the collar properly and you will not have any issues. Most people start around six months. There are some excellent training DVDs on introduction. George Hickox or Perfection Kennels work good. Just don't over do it. Use the collar to enforce Commands that she Knows.
Just understand that the ecollar is not a cure all it is just an extension of your control ...Cj

work765

Post by work765 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:10 pm

cjhills wrote:Learn how to use the collar properly and you will not have any issues. Most people start around six months. There are some excellent training DVDs on introduction. George Hickox or Perfection Kennels work good. Just don't over do it. Use the collar to enforce Commands that she Knows.
Just understand that the ecollar is not a cure all it is just an extension of your control ...Cj
Thanks Cj

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun May 05, 2019 8:05 am

I put an e-collar n a pup soon as it will fit well enough to stay on. But I don't turn it on till maybe a year old, depends on the pup. Get the pup used to it, don't just put it on one day and surprise the pup!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

work765

Post by work765 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:09 am

I was thinking about doing some hiking with the collar on and not do any corrections with it. Just so she doesn’t associate it with staying close to me in heel or whoaing.

Meskousing

Post by Meskousing » Sun May 05, 2019 8:31 am

Every dog should be trained with an e-collar. Few dog owners should own e-collars. If you can, get with someone that really knows how to use an e-collar. This will allow you to follow a proven and systematic system. Absent that, find some videos. Gun Dog Supply has some videos by an obedience trainer that are nice for basic obedience and introduces basic concepts. I don't do pointing dogs, so I'll leave that alone. No dog is too young to learn. They're always learning what gets rewards and punishment. Take every chance you can get to shape behavior.

A dog should be able to recall, sit (or whoa for you pointing dog folks and hup for spaniels,) and go away from you on command. Those commands should be able to be reinforced with an e-collar.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu May 09, 2019 3:22 pm

work765 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:09 am
I was thinking about doing some hiking with the collar on and not do any corrections with it. Just so she doesn’t associate it with staying close to me in heel or whoaing.

Never start a dog on an ecollar unless it's on a leash. If it bolts and you can't catch it, you've just taught the dog to run away when corrected. This is much less a problem today with variable intensity ecollars than it was when they only had one level. Just remember, you can't teach a dog with an ecollar you can only reinforce a known command.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Mon May 13, 2019 11:43 am

work765 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:09 am

Start putting the e-collar on everytime you go out. Even if you don't bring the remote or turn it on. That way the dog associates the e-collar the same way it does you putting on your shoes.