Garmin bark collars

weimdogman

Garmin bark collars

Post by weimdogman » Sun May 12, 2019 1:38 am

So some Garmin trainingcollars have built in bark collars. Garmin cautions against leaving trainingcollars on the dogs for extended periods. How is the bark collar unit different in this regard? Is it okay to leave a bark collar on for say a week?

Also anyone experiance a training collar , set to bark collar , mode errantly shocking the dog ?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Garmin bark collars

Post by cjhills » Sun May 12, 2019 5:25 am

No, it is not okay to leave the collar on for a week the contacts irritate the skin.
I never heard of a collar errantly shocking a dog. However the do go up in intensity if the dog continues to bark.That can be bad if the dog yelps from the shock and gets hit harder each time he yelps.........Cj

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sun May 12, 2019 11:18 am

There are 2 options
Auto rise increases with barking
Set level of shock

I only asked about the wear duration as I wonder about having a seperate bark collar being a advantage?

I wouldnt leave a collar on for a solid week

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun May 12, 2019 12:24 pm

I use a bark collar on my JRT for the benefit of the neighbors and for me when I want to sleep in. 12 hours is my limit for its use at one time. For me personally , it just seems wrong to use it for a longer period of time.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun May 12, 2019 6:27 pm

weimdogman wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:18 am
There are 2 options
Auto rise increases with barking
Set level of shock

I only asked about the wear duration as I wonder about having a seperate bark collar being a advantage?

I wouldnt leave a collar on for a solid week
My Garmin p10 G3 collars are either on or off when used as bark collars. No auto rise.
I guess I don't get what difference a separate collar would make as far as wear duration goes...…..Cj

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri May 17, 2019 5:47 am

As mentioned, leaving a bark collar on too long can create skin irritation where the prongs touch her/his neck. I bought 2 collars that had ceramic-like tips so as to completely avoid the irritation. BIG mistake. They run off of 2 C2032 batteries each. Seems that even when the units are off the batteries leak their charge! I need to buy shares in C2032 batteries because the replacement cost becomes prohibitive. It felt like when I needed those collars the most, the batteries were dead....again. I supposed I could insert/remove the batteries as needed. Naaah...
Further-to-this, dogs need to learn to stop barking and applying removing the collar - even though it's a pain-in-the-asterisk - can be strategic.
I decided to have some fun with a new GSP here that just arrived - a barker. She barked and barked, then stopped for a breather so I went outside where the dogs can see me and strutted around on our deck. All the dogs were intrigued just in seeing me. A few seconds out, the new GSP started to bark so I hustled back inside the house. The dog stopped barking almost inquisitively so out I went on the deck and strutted around again. All the dogs were silent but the new dog gave one bark so I scurried into the house again. She actually stopped for quite some time. (Repeat...) She doesn't bark like she used to now.
No, the dog has not stopped barking completely but it has stopped barking when I go outside. It's an improvement for sure. Now, I only use a bark collar on her when I'm working adjacent dogs because she wants me to work her and ONLY her. :|
Chronic barkers - which I believe can be both created and/or genetic - are a whole new ball game. I once had to use an isolation technique which can be hard on the dog and even harder on you. I'm hoping you don't have that.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:44 pm

This is an interesting thread. The only time I use bark collars is when I leave one dog in the truck (SUV) and go off hunting with another. Race horse owners speak of "leaving their race in the paddock", that is, using all their energy getting worked up before a race and having not enough left in the actual race. A dog should not get worked up barking too much before going out. Nevertheless, I can see where a bark collar would be useful under other circumstances though not, thank goodness, with my present dogs.

Good information, however, and it's nice to have it.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:16 am

So I bought a replacement PT10 collar for my SportPro. Barklimiter works the same, autorise or set stimulation level.
To set stim level.
Dial to aux
Press top button
While flashing green move dial to a stim #
Press top button again.
When solid green goes off, barkcollar is set to correct at the desired level.
To turn off...dial to aux press lower button.

The specific bark collars have a sleep feature which
Greatly extends battery life.