Certification for Dog Obedience

ddoyle

Certification for Dog Obedience

Post by ddoyle » Thu May 16, 2019 6:25 pm

Folks I have been thinking about starting to train dogs in my spare time. Obedience etc...not hunt training and I thought I would probably have better luck if I got certified. I have seen a few programs and am wondering if anyone has any experience? Would like thoughts?
Doyle

Steve007

Re: Certification for Dog Obedience

Post by Steve007 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:10 pm

ddoyle wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:25 pm
Folks I have been thinking about starting to train dogs in my spare time. Obedience etc...not hunt training and I thought I would probably have better luck if I got certified. I have seen a few programs and am wondering if anyone has any experience? Would like thoughts?
There are all kinds of rinky-dink "certification" programs around, and every one of the people who sell the programs swear by them. As do their fans that remain, naturally, the others having dropped out. But you'll have a lot better luck – and become a better trainer- when you put some genuine obedience titles on your dogs, assuming you haven't done so already.

There are four levels of titles in AKC obedience. BN (Beginning Novice), CD ( Companion Dog), CDX (Companion Dog Excellent) and UD (Utility Dog).

You can go to the AKC site and see requirements as well as find obedience clubs that instruct and walk you through training dogs at this level. YouTube will have examples of dogs working at these levels. There are also private instructors that have training facilities, many of which are quite excellent. But you'd better see framed plaques to validate that they have put these very real titles on previous dogs before you consider getting involved with them or with the instructors at AKC obedience clubs, for that matter.

Whether private or club-based, after you've trained with them for a couple of years and put some titles on your dogs so they can evaluate you, they'll probably let you become an assistant instructor with the beginning dogs. And then you can learn how to be an instructor.

Fishmongerjoe

Re: Certification for Dog Obedience

Post by Fishmongerjoe » Sat May 18, 2019 7:14 am

IMO Dog Training is results based. Most trainers get business via referrals. I agree with steve007. If you want credentials, start passing obedience tests. It’s going to be a less money than “online” certificate and you can participate with any dog. No conformation needed. Once the dog gets their passes/titles you could rehome said dog and recoup some of the costs, or keep it as a mentor dog for future trainees as it could become a valuable member of your team moving forward.

A different route could be taken at a shelter volunteering or better yet by fostering. You’ll get exposure to a lot of dogs and lots of problems. Your perspective customers will be people and dogs with various issues. You won’t be starting with a clean slate, ever.

Another possibility could be corporate training at the big pet stores. Be careful here as some may ask you to sign a no-compete. But this way will teach you how to deal with dog issues as well as how to handle dog owners. Most dog issues are put there by unknowingly by owners. Learning how to tell someone they messed up their dog without them getting butthurt is a valuable skill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk