It's good for the soul!

Featherfinder

It's good for the soul!

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:20 pm

Went to see a repeat customer as he has lots of land for training. We ran his dog too (that I trained years ago) but she was "rusty".
As a favor, I asked if I could take her home with me just for a couple of days.
I set out this evening just before sunset as it was 82 degrees but felt like 89 with the humidity - bloody gooey! Apparently, she has gotten "a bit hard-mouthed on occasion".
So, I brought her home, rigged my pigeon up with a quail harness so it could escape freely, then set the dog loose.
My goodness....she handled like a dream! Slammed on point looking like the bird was under-foot. I looked around and finally found her bird 40 yards out! My initial attempt to flush had the bird flutter 4 feet then land again. (Grrr….!) So, I flushed a second time. This time it made a dash for South America! I shot it (around Panama Canal). The pointer never moved a muscle!!
I sashayed to this dog, tapped her on the head. She exploded towards the downed bird. It took her awhile to locate it but I wanted not to yack, support or assist. This was ALL about her.
She found it, bounded back to me pleased as punch! I let her carry this bird all the way back to my truck. Once there, I asked her for our bird which she delivered to hand.
Some days are diamonds....not all...but just enough. :wink:

Ttown

Re: It's good for the soul!

Post by Ttown » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:56 pm

That does sound very rewarding... Congrats!

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:45 am

Awesome!
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:46 am

That sounds a very satisfying time with that dog. Good Job making it all stick in the beginning.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:42 am

Not an advert for the hard mouth or any other characteristic in the breeding then ?
I haven't been in the Sea for years ,but I guess I still know how to swim .