Hunting Dog (Retriever) Question

Dlion0721

Hunting Dog (Retriever) Question

Post by Dlion0721 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:14 pm

We got a Boykin Spaniel recently and the puppy is now 4 months old. The puppy comes from a great hunting line and arguably the best Boykin trainer in the country. This is also our first real hunting dog. I’m a tad concerned as the puppy doesn’t seem naturally that interested in retrieving. I go outside and try to make playing with bumpers fun, etc. but he isn’t that interested. He will chase tennis balls most of the time but is more interested in goofing around than even that.

I guess my question is should I be concerned about his future hunting ability? I’m going to send him to the trainer for formal training when he turns six months old but won’t lie that I thought he would naturally want to retrieve more than he is. Other than that he has been an amazing family dog. Even at 4 months he has been a ton of fun inside the house, with the kids, etc.

Featherfinder

Re: Hunting Dog (Retriever) Question

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:19 pm

You are concerned - I get it. Don't let it bother you. Since you have aligned yourself with a top notch trainer, see what he has to say when he sees pup.
Until then, stop trying things that may not be serving your pup or, ask for advice from said trainer on what you can do now with pup to prepare him for the ensuing formal training.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:59 am

Dlion0721 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:14 pm

I thought he would naturally want to retrieve more than he is. Other than that he has been an amazing family dog. Even at 4 months he has been a ton of fun inside the house, with the kids, etc.
Your not the 1st person to have thought that dogs would "just" naturally do their work without months of specific training. Think about that tons of
"fun" in the house with the kids. What Fun activities is that pup involved with that has the pup Going out picking up, carrying, and bringing back an object.
Feather finder eluded to this in the 1st response to your post

Bets of luck
Hal
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:49 am

When my wife brought home our male golden retriever, from an excellent hunting golden line and breeder, I told her she picked out a dud... sleepiest pup Id ever seen, very lackadaisical about retrieving or even being interested in toys/bumper/etc. However, NOW he is a retrieving machine... your arm will get tired before he does, I promise! It just took a little time and maturity. That bveing said, the trainer should be able to give you a much better evaluation.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:44 pm

gundogguy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:59 am
Dlion0721 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:14 pm

I thought he would naturally want to retrieve more than he is. Other than that he has been an amazing family dog. Even at 4 months he has been a ton of fun inside the house, with the kids, etc.
Your not the 1st person to have thought that dogs would "just" naturally do their work without months of specific training. Think about that tons of "fun" in the house with the kids. What Fun activities is that pup involved with that has the pup Going out picking up, carrying, and bringing back an object.

Feather finder eluded to this in the 1st response to your post
You might have added "Especially with retrievers or retrieving gundogs like the Boykin," gundogguy. :mrgreen:

Working with a pup of late - won't say what breed - whose owner (who has trained Master Hunter retrievers) keeps rueing the contradiction that the dog will pick up bumpers with the greatest enthusiasm but won't carry over that enthusiasm with birds. Gotta give it time - and more birds. The Boykin may be almost the flip side of that adage - somewhere in the "archives," I've got a picture of my first Boykin at 12 years old sitting next to her 6-week-old sidekick both with "Indiana giant" bobwhite quail in their mouths. Game got a little bigger for her over the years ---->
but the zest for retrieving couldn't have gotten any better than what she was born with and already exhibiting on the day I got her at 6 weeks.

To the OP, apropos of featherfinder and gundogguy's guidance, you have to make the decision of how "companionable" your pup can be with the kids irrespective of your trying to train the pup as a gundog. There are parttime retrievers (and retrieving gundogs like the Boykin, as gundogguy would say!), but too many little cooks can spoil the broth for bringing along a serviceable hunting dog with a reliable retrieve. And spoil it is an apt description because 98% or more Boykin pups seem to come out of the whelping box with a reliable retrieve.

MG