Behavior

nevermind

Behavior

Post by nevermind » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:05 pm

I'm not doing something that's getting through to my 4yr old dog. I take him out on walks and he's wearing a harness with 6 ft. lead. Problem is when passing other dog's he gets aggressive and vocal trying to charge the other dog. This doesn't happen to all dog's we pass... example: little dogs he pays no mind to or larger dogs that pay no mind to him. I'm not sure what the other dog he goes after does to set him off... as I'm watching my dog, but my thoughts are the other dog is showing some sign of aggression and he's not backing down. When approaching another dog I walk him around giving lots of space between them. I bring him to heel... that works part time, when he charges I've picked him up by the harness and spun him and around also tried shaking him using his collar these method settle him down on the spot, but I don't want to have to do this all the time. Any ideas what method of training I can use to get through to this dog not to pay attention to other dogs?
BTW... this dog thinks every human loves him and he's been around other dogs... put my other dog 15+ years down last summer. They were best of buds.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Behavior

Post by shags » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:27 am

I'd start by ditching the harness and replacing it with a prong collar, chain slip collar, or a wonder lead. A collar or WL lets you give a good swift correction while simultaneously moving his face toward you. IME, harnesses can contribute to some bad behavior in more dominant dogs because the dogs are doing that pulling thing out in front of the handler which makes them think they are large and in charge.

When you're out, make the dog heel as long as you're moving. Allow sniffing and dog stuff at your pleasure but stand there while you allow it and after you release him from heel.

Instead of going wide around the other dog, put yourself between them, you facing your dog and make him pay attention to you until the dog passes by. Make him whoa or sit or whatever you do for a "be still" command. This makes you the boss of him. Or, simply keep going and give him a good correction when he starts in. Do which works best for you but Be In Charge.

When you notice a dog approaching don't anticipate aggression by tightening up the lead or getting defensive. Your dog will sense that something's wrong. Instead, watch your dog carefully and at the first flick of an eyelash do some heeling drills like a close Figure 8 or some about turns. You want the dog's focus on you, not on his target. You can tell he's targeting by his body language...perked ears, stiffer posture, tail carriage, etc. Most of it's subtle but you can learn to read him.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:29 pm

As already outlined, get a prong collar...

All of my field trainers that I have ever used, recommended prong collars, and they trained us how to properly use this collar in training!

My last trainer, found a new type of Pronged collar that is easy on easy off and when in place others cannot tell it is a prong collar. Check them out at
www.lolalimited.net

I do own a couple of these collars and they are the best I have used. I also am not part owner or in anyway attached to this manufacture! I am just a happy customer.

Good Luck

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:08 pm

I will be brutally honest ! (for the sake of the dog) and all other dogs .
Go arrange a visit with a reputable Trainer . ..I know that phrase is easily banded about and come across like old hat , but let's face it ?
You can't control situations with the apparatus and scenarios with the equipment and knowledge you have now (going by the original post information) . Sorry if it sounds like a tough call . But hey' ...a different collar or lead or any new invention on the market is unlikely ..No definitely NOT going to solve or resolve the issue as described . and that's without seeing you or the dog ! (based on the info in the initial post) .
Have a nice day , hope the dog gets better.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks for the suggestion all. I do have a pinch collar that I used for heeling and whoa training.
Yesterday we took our normal 1+ mile walk. I went to pinch collar instead of harness. Dog went to automatic heel, without command. Uneventful walk with dog at heel the entire way, which is okay with me. I've liked the harness because it gave resistance exercise for dog... I can get him exercised other ways. The only dog we encountered was a pup, so there wasn't a reaction to use correction to see how this pans out. I did notice there wasn't any marking going on as before with the harness. He didn't even mark his favorite telephone pole when I stopped him by it. We'll see how things progress from here with pinch collar. Thanks

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:13 am

polmaise wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:08 pm
I will be brutally honest ! (for the sake of the dog) and all other dogs .
That's not like him ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert (Polmaise) gave good advice here. I too think you should visit a reputable trainer and it needn't be a gundog trainer. A half decent obedience hall trainer should be able to help you.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:52 am

I will to take polmaises' advice, but I'm going to try the pinch collar I already have to get my dogs focus on me.