~ MUDDY WATERS ~ Not Blues Related

Irishwhistler

~ MUDDY WATERS ~ Not Blues Related

Post by Irishwhistler » Mon May 18, 2020 5:25 am

Aye Mates,

A chocolate cast has fallen upon these waters, but that is not due to turbidity, nor suspended sediments.
DSC06709_Fotor.jpg
~ Water Dancers ~ Gun dog trainee REX is seen dancing upon the water whilst playing with gun dog champion TRAD during a recent training session. I often utilize some time spent in the water playing prior to getting down to the more serious aspects of training. A few minuets of play like this seems to alleviate pent up energy due to time spent crated while traveling, or time spent in the kennel run and it brings them into a more focused attitude for working.
DSC06706_Fotor.jpg
~ Chocolate Waters ~ REX, a chocolate Labrador Retriever is seen along the waters of a training pond he was worked in during a recent training session. Most often, younger K9 trainees like REX are worked solitarily in a one on one session with myself as their trainer. Familiarization with the woodlands, marshes, fields, rivers, and ponds where these dogs will spend most of their working lives breeds a comfort level that translates into confidence building. I will often wait until a dog is highly intrigued by something in the field and will give the recall command "HERE", to proof the obedience work we had accomplished previously in that regard.
DSC06707_Fotor.jpg
~ Hard Charging Chocolate ~ Retriever trainee REX is seen hitting the water with the hard charging drive we want to see in a gun dog prospect. After spending some time just being a young dog as seen in this image, REX and I worked on the rudiments of obedience work including RECALL, SIT, REMOTE STAY, DOWN, KENNEL UP, AND HEELING on-lead. During said drills, REX was highly attentive and very compliant. Once all of our obedience work was completed, REX was rewarded with more time spent in the training pond and in a river adjacent to the training ground. I want my time spent with REX to be the highlight of his day every time we work together. With me now for just 17 days, I can see that REX has become very comfortable with me and that he looks forward to our time spent together. REX is demonstrating great potential.

I have already identified some areas that I know will be more challenging with REX and I will address those matters when the time comes to do HOLD and FORCE FETCH conditioning. In the meantime, we will be laying down foundational obedience along with teaching REX to accept training pressure and to learn how to avoid it.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.