VIDEO: Higgins Gundogs: The Nature of the Dog

Higgins

VIDEO: Higgins Gundogs: The Nature of the Dog

Post by Higgins » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:58 am

For those of you interested in understanding the fundamental difference between the Higgins Method and others.

Here is the bottom line, as I see it. Some questions first. When we talk about hunting with a dog, what things do they (the dog and the hunter) both want, enjoy and agree on? They both like to hunt birds. Take a young, untrained dog, turn him loose and he will enjoy hunting and finding birds. I believe we can all agree on that. Let's continue. Who's bird is it? Again, ask that untrained dog. I think we can all agree the dogs answer would be that the bird belongs to him.

This is where my method takes a different route from the others. I understand and agree with the dog that the bird belongs to him. I never try to change that. I will never take a bird away from him (steal his prey). I just show him that by working with me, trusting me, I will increase his odds of getting that bird in his mouth. He already knows how to cooperate in this way. Soon he will choose to be steady to flush, shot and fall, he will flush birds (present the bird to the gun) when I ask but never chase, and he will willingly bring his bird in and share it with me. I simply show him a new, successful hunting strategy that includes me. I nurture trust and cooperation. It's the nature of things. It's why they hunt in packs.
https://youtu.be/snraJmkyGv8

Brad Higgins
www.HigginsGundogs.com
Last edited by Higgins on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

averageguy

Re: VIDEO: The Nature of the Dog

Post by averageguy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:55 pm

Question is what do you do when the pup goes the opposite way with the bird, or sits down and chews on it, or does not want to pick it up and carry it, or gets a little older and bolder and then does not want to return to you with it and prefers to play keep away.

All of which are very common behaviors in puppies.

Not saying you do not have approaches for those behaviors, just pointing out, again, there is nothing in your videos which explain to the viewer how to address any of those situations which commonly arise.

Classic making the viewer feel like there is something wrong with their pup because it does not do what that clip shows ...

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:37 pm

Hello Averageguy. I appreciate your thoughtful questions. A big part of my method is managing energy or excitement (focus). When a pup goes to a downed bird, I look at his energy. It will show in different ways depending on his personality. Too much energy and he may take the bird and run off, or eat it, roll on it or bury it. All of these things are a good thing. It means he finds the bird valuable. The opposite reaction, based on too little energy would be a dog that does not go to the bird or goes to it, sniffs it and leaves without it. Also a good thing. At this point, there is no right or wrong. I'm just observing so I can decide how to manage the energy.

When you think about it, my training tools are actually in the manipulation of some of his natural emotion based reactions. These include, among others, excitement, contentment, joy, suspicion, affection, frustration, anxiety, anticipation, attachment, trust, surprise, jealousy, greed, possessiveness, etc. If he goes to the bird and does not pick it up, I simply turn around and walk away. You saw this in my last video posted here. He wants to be with us (trust, attachment) so he picks up the bird and migrates with his pack. If he goes to the bird, sniffs it and leaves without it or in other words, shows little interest, I walk over, pick up the bird and carry it by one foot. He sees this, possessiveness takes over and he runs over and takes the bird. I am now building value in the bird.If he puts it down again, I just repeat the process. Pretty soon he chooses to carry the bird. If he runs over to the bird chews it or runs off with it (greed, jealousy & possessiveness), I'll pull a live quail (on a string) from my pocket and throw it out. He sees this, realizes my bird is better than his (it's alive and fluttering) and he comes running, carrying his bird. I reel my bird in so that when he gets to me, the bird is in my hand. I pet him up, give him the bird and we both walk away, carrying a bird (trust, attachment).

Anyway, these are just some of the things I do to begin to create and nurture a foundation of trust and cooperation. My overall goal is to replace the negative emotional responses with positive ones. All of this is working with the dogs free will. He chooses to do these things. As you can imagine, in my method, obedience, repetition and trainer induced pressure has no place in these early stages. Once I have built the relationship, the rest is easy.

Brad Higgins
www.HigginsGundogs.com
Last edited by Higgins on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:29 am, edited 6 times in total.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:42 pm

I have noticed many take exceptions to your methods , you have always responded with your line of reasoning as to what is going on and why it occurs.
I also question somethings you do, but this thread goes a long ways to understanding your goals and commitment.
Thank you for taking the time to share with everyone.

averageguy

Re: VIDEO: Higgins Gundogs: The Nature of the Dog

Post by averageguy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:11 am

Hey Brad, Thank You for the response.

If you like you can see my 5 month old pup pointing and retrieving a fresh shot pigeon in this morning training session over in my Got a new Pup thread.