~ Team Shooter ~ Ready To Steady

Irishwhistler

~ Team Shooter ~ Ready To Steady

Post by Irishwhistler » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:05 pm

DSC08640_Fotor.jpg
~ TEAM SHOOTER ~ "READY TO STEADY" ~ Greg is seen "steadying" his retriever SHOOTER on the PLACE board prior to sending her on retrieve. We seek to entrench intensive focus, desire, silence, and steadiness in the retriever trainee. Until all of the aforementioned elements are achieved in balance, the retriever will be delayed and not sent. Our approach is critical specific to the forging o' a quiet, non-slip retriever that will be a pleasure to hunt with. Timing on the send o' the dog on retrieve is highly important in teaching the retriever the concept that remaining steady and quiet leads to the reward o' being sent on retrieve.

I conducted an individualized training session for owner / handler Greg and his retriever gun dog prospect SHOOTER this morning. SHOOTER has been with me for boarded training for just about 1.5 months and her time spent under these conditions have proven to be most beneficial. Boarding has certainly aided in boosting SHOOTER'S developmental maturity, that resulting in a more focused and responsive attitude during training. Doing an initial assessment o' SHOOTER prior to me acceptance o' her as a trainee, I saw glimpses o' potential shining through what seemed to be chaotic puppy madness. In any assessment specific to a potential K9 trainee, said examination extends to include the owner / handler as well. A determination is made as to whether I want to work with both the dog and the owner / handler. Should that equation not be balanced, t'is most often a dealbreaker for meself. Seeing potential in SHOOTER and knowing her owner Greg to be a retired waterfowl biologist with a passion for fowling in alignment with me own love for the same, t'was an easy decision to make in working with TEAM SHOOTER. For meself, knowing all the time and energy I dedicated to honing SHOOTER specific to the skills critical for her as a retriever would in fact see her go onward to hunt as she was indeed bred to do.

The last few weeks saw me spending the needed time with SHOOTER on the FORCE FETCH table in honing the conditioned retrieve and mouth habits so critical to the forging o' a competent retriever gun dog. Working me gun dog magic, SHOOTER'S time spent on the table with me was metered with regard to the training pressure applied (not too much too soon, and not too little), knowing when to move forward, and when to back off. Me reading o' the dog based on me experience gained o'er decades is what guides the process. Cautious and balanced repetition, with pressure applied and relieved as coupled with precise timing is me formula for success.

The last few visits by Greg to watch and work with meself and SHOOTER have been most enjoyable. T'is clear that SHOOTER is not the same retriever she was just a few short weeks ago when Greg left her in me care. SHOOTER'S skill sets have multiplied along with her being more focused and responsive. I assured Greg that her boarding at the kennel would be most beneficial and that has certainly been the case. Coincidental to the upswing in SHOOTER'S progress made, I see a notable reduction in Greg's stress level as we work with her, a marked relief, a calm befallen upon him as the owner / handler o' a retriever that has made significant improvements in her overall performance. When Greg entrusted SHOOTER into me care, I asked him to trust me with her, that not being easy for anybody that loves their dog. I take that trust extended to me as a sacred obligation on me own part, a responsibility to deliver the best I can in caring for and honing that retriever trainee toward the objectives set by the owner and meself in cooperation. T'was clear to see the glimmer in his eye and the pride in his voice as he worked with his lass SHOOTER this morning. SHOOTER had rounded the bend that I assured Greg she would indeed round. I asked Greg to be patient as we moved her forward and he has indeed granted her that which was needed. As a trainer I often tell clients that we are on the dog's schedule, they are not on our schedule. Move too fast and ye leave holes in the training while ye risk shutting a dog down. Move too slow and ye will bore the dog to death leaving them mentally unstimulated and simultaneously unmotivated. I continually seek to find the needed balance required individually for each dog I work with.

SHOOTER still has much to learn and she will do that provided the triad o' retriever, owner / handler, and trainer is maintained in the harmonious relationship required for continuing progress to be made. I have little doubt that TEAM SHOOTER and I will continue forging SHOOTER into the wonderful retriever gun dog that she has such incredible potential to become.👍
DSC08644_Fotor.jpg
~ SHOOTER ON RETRIEVE ~ Having been sent on the retrieve o' a remotely thrown thawed training duck (hen bufflehead), SHOOTER is seen cutting through the water as she makes her way back to her owner / handler Greg. Upon return, SHOOTER is expected to return onto the PLACE board, J-hook to a SIT, and to deliver the bird gently into Greg's hand upon his issue o' the command "GIVE".
DSC08639_Fotor.jpg
~ MISSION ACCOMPLISHED ~ SHOOTER is seen on the PLACE board and making delivery o' the duck into Greg's hand. As I explained to Greg, we teach, we condition, we fine tune, and we entrench the behaviors we desire the retriever to perform consistently and precisely.

SHOOTER has made significant progress and she has so much more to learn before she will be considered a proficient and competent gun dog. The map is charted and the journey has begun.

Enjoy every moment spent with ye beloved sporting dogs ! 👍

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.