Over correcting and fear in gsp puppy

mlese92

Over correcting and fear in gsp puppy

Post by mlese92 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I have not posted here on a while, but my gsp pup is now 13 weeks and doing great! His obedience training has gone well and he is getting better at listening to a firm "NO" for behaviors he should not be doing.

Now to the issue, and this is more on me the owner than him at all. I am embarrassed to be writing this but I needed some advice. Yesterday I yelled at him for doing something I did not want after he did not listen several times. I grabbed him up more aggressively than you ever should and he immediately peed in fear. I then took him outside and he hid for a second from me. Then after coming back inside, he was clearly in fear as he would approach me with his head down, ears back, and would lay down and roll over as to say "I'm sorry dad, please love me". I realized my mistake and am working to regain trust. He still of course listens and comes to me, but while doing some training today with his meal, all of a sudden he went into that same fear mode out of nowhere. I did not raise my voice nor correct him for anything. I just want to have an idea of if or when he may forgive me for this.

I'm sure I am overthinking but hes young and I know fragile mentally, so I want to do whatever I can to let him know he does not need to be anxious or fearful when listening to me. Added some current pictures of him for those who.saw him when I first posted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Over correcting and fear in gsp puppy

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:35 pm

Hats off to you for being up front and honest. Don't think you are the only one who has done that. I'd say you have a sensitive pup- my jack russell would have told ME off.:)
He will definitely forgive you, but from now one I'd be using just commands followed by consistent follow up-. Example: You call him to come, he doesn't come, you go and get him - saying nothing. Dogs actually learn from HABIT more than anything else. I think this would also be a good time to use treats with the dog for a while - not too long. Enjoy. Training a dog is a roller coaster ride. :)

(He's a cutie.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mlese92

Post by mlese92 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:06 pm

Sharon wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:35 pm
Hats off to you for being up front and honest. Don't think you are the only one who has done that. I'd say you have a sensitive pup- my jack russell would have told ME off.:)
He will definitely forgive you, but from now one I'd be using just commands followed by consistent follow up-. Example: You call him to come, he doesn't come, you go and get him - saying nothing. Dogs actually learn from HABIT more than anything else. I think this would also be a good time to use treats with the dog for a while - not too long. Enjoy. Training a dog is a roller coaster ride. :)

(He's a cutie.)
Haha yes he definitely is sensitive that is for sure but he loves everyone and has been socializing a lot so I'm super happy with his progress. I tend to over analyze and with a gsp supposedly not being recommended for first time dog owners, I just want to make sure I get some reassurance from the people here who have the experience. So thank you again.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:50 pm

If a GSP was not recommended for first time dog owners I'm not sure what they would think would be suitable :?
Your pup will forgive you. One of the problems with trainers/owners is that we don't think through what we would do for a non-compliance in all situations. We are prepared mentally when we are "training" but forget that we are actually training 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Anyway, we tend to tell and tell and tell and then get annoyed. What we need to do is anticipate, tell, then tell and correct. That skips the third, fourth, ..... telling and the annoyed part of the process.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:11 pm

First and foremost...it will pass. Sharon gave you the very best advice on the subject, which was to issue the command and if the dog does not comply...say nothing but just go and get him. Then do a little drill to reinforce and end with praise and maybe a treat. If he goes in to "fear" mode...DO NOT coddle him or even acknowledge the fear response. Ignore it and move on. He will get over it.

If your youngster is on the sensitive side, you can try allowing the pup to roughhouse with you. Tease him and let him respond. I will get into fake boxing matches with some of my dogs to build up their self confidence. If you have young children, allowing the dog to roughhouse may not be a good idea because he may try it with other members of the family, and that won't end well for anyone.

Patience(which is a virtue I do not have enough of) ... persistence and insistence are the keys to the kingdom. Repetition...patient repetition...gets it done. A healthy sense of humor can be priceless, especially with a puppy. They do some of the strangest things sometimes and sometimes you can either laugh or get annoyed. If you can laugh(or at least shake your head and smile) instead of getting annoyed... you both will succeed.

With ANY animal, especially a puppy, when you are losing your temper...it is past time to quit, because it is just going to get worse.

Nice looking youngster. Have fun together.

RayG

mlese92

Post by mlese92 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:56 pm

Thank you guys. This puppy is teaching me just as much as I am it. I appreciate the advice, and it'll be easier moving forward knowing where I made the mistake. I did some tug with him when he initially showed fear and that got him going again. He's probably much better than I give him credit for and I expect too much since I know how smart he really is :lol:

mask

Post by mask » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:10 pm

First off I don't think dogs are capable of forgiving. All you did was show who was boss. He will forget the worst part of that experience and you will both be better for it. I don't use no because it sounds a lot like whoa for what that is worth. I don't use whoa on my own dogs either. This is a pup so don't expect a lot just have fun and and keep posting. This is a pup a cute one but don't expect him to react like a mature dog. Best to you and the pup.

mlese92

Post by mlese92 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:13 am

I appreciate the help. As far as any other training goes, I really just focus on the basic sit, down and stay (have been using wait as the command) and he's got them down well. I can have him sit and wait for a good bit whether it's for food, going outside or waiting to go for a toy on the ground and he releases well to "Ok".

Do you recommend any sort of leash training at this age or can that wait till closer to 6 months when he's a bit bigger and I can look into slip leads?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:31 pm

mask wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:10 pm
First off I don't think dogs are capable of forgiving. All you did was show who was boss. He will forget the worst part of that experience and you will both be better for it. I don't use no because it sounds a lot like whoa for what that is worth. I don't use whoa on my own dogs either. This is a pup so don't expect a lot just have fun and and keep posting. This is a pup a cute one but don't expect him to react like a mature dog. Best to you and the pup.
You must have never trained a female! :D :D
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:27 am

At 13wks, use a check cord. Tell him no and pull him off what he's fixing to do wrong. Tell him here and he doesn't want to, he has no choice pull him in. Delmar said, "never give a command you cant enforce"!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mask

Post by mask » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:41 am

Hey Gonehuntin, I have been married 3 times so I know now trying to train a female is a fools errand. :lol:

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:21 pm

^^^ Try Don's checkcord method :D

mlese92

Post by mlese92 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:53 pm

I actually have one and just haven't used it yet because I was still watching/reading how to use one. So I'll start working on it and see how it goes