Trash breaking - chickens - Ruin bird dog?

nritacco

Trash breaking - chickens - Ruin bird dog?

Post by nritacco » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:55 pm

Hi,

I have a 7 year old GSP, who's a great bird dog (good nose, holds his points, etc.). I recently purchased chickens. My GSP is going nuts with the chickens. My question is: if I work to break him from going crazy (barking, whining, and trying to get at them) with the chickens, is there any danger in doing damage to his bird hunting?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Trash breaking - chickens - Ruin bird dog?

Post by slistoe » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:00 pm

He should be able to learn the difference in species and location.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:56 pm

I got a leg up on this. I've had chickens a long time and my pup's are all exposed from 8 wks on Never have a problem. Maybe you could take your dog out on a leash wth you with the chickens probably pull pretty good to start but might get used to it.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:58 pm

I’ve been pretty stiff with corrections on older and younger dogs in regards to chickens. No effect on prey drive toward game birds.

nritacco

Post by nritacco » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:10 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

He's actually beginning to settle down. Occasionally, when the chicks start running all over the place in front of him, he can't stand it any more and loses control. I've scolded him, commanded "Leave It". He looks at me and kind'a frowns, but he does seem to settle down.

Good stuff! Thanks

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:38 pm

It would be a pretty stupid dog who can't tell the difference between a chicken and a pheasant. Our spaniels never had any issue understanding to leave the chickens, ducks, geese that were in the yard alone. They were still keen hunters, loving their job.

Dogs can tell the difference between the cat that lives at your house and a stray. They can tell the difference between the child that lives at your house and a stranger.

You just have to explain it to the dog, in a way that he understands, that the chickens belong to you and he can protect them if he wants to, but he can't chase them. Praise him a bit when he hunts so he know that makes you happy, and he will hunt and hunt hard and still leave the chickens alone.

And note: unless you do some training, he might leave your chickens alone and still chase the chickens that live down the road. It appears to be a territory issue. It also applies to cats. Your dog might leave your cat alone and still kill the cat from down the block that isn't his cat.

JAY

Post by JAY » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:36 pm

My GSP was extremely interested in my chickens for about a month but hardly pays any attention now. They are in a coop (otherwise fox and hawks get them). He completely ignores the chickens. He is highly interested in my Quail who are also caged. I have to say “forget-it” with the Quail. However in the open field he is highly focused on hunting/pointing Quail.

So is seems he knows the difference between Quail and chickens. And discouraging him from caged Quail does not affect his interest in field Quail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:01 pm

Beautiful picture!
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett