Putting scent on balls to play fetch?

Chrapm1

Putting scent on balls to play fetch?

Post by Chrapm1 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:09 pm

I have a young drahthaar and she is progressing great with sit, here, learning her nose, etc. The only thing she’s not interested in is playing fetch or even going carrying around toys after she “catches” them.

Would putting a little scent on a tennis ball be a bad move? I’m thinking it might help be interested in this after the “catch” so I could start to praise and get her to naturally learn the fetch game.

She’s far too young to get into anything forced and I’m not worried about her fetching as an adult I just wanted to get her habits going good and learning fetch is fun. I’m doing all the recommendations of “teasing”, bouncing the ball, being excited, and praising.

Opinions?

tops911

Re: Putting scent on balls to play fetch?

Post by tops911 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:40 pm

Congrats on the DD pup; I'm on my 3 DD and just finished my newest pups VJP last weekend. I dont think you need to add any scent to a tennis ball, it'll smell like you after the first time you hold it. I tried scent on my first Dokken pheasant dummy and realized it was a waste of time those dogs can smell the dummies with no problem. I'm not a fan of tennis balls for dogs, I think they cause mouthing issues (chewing on them). Can you get the pup a real bird or bunny to chase and catch? Nothing will make a pup parade around carrying something like a live bird or a bunny. Another option is to try a Dokken dummy. Try a dove, chucker or a foam Dokken bumper, those are good sizes for a pup. My dogs prefer the Dokken dummies and it seems like the bigger the better. I have a Dokken goose and even my Teckel (wirehair dachshund) wanted to retrieve it, water retrieves but she could not get it up the bank. I also don't scold the pup (or older dogs) for carrying around other objects like shoes, I do praise them then take the objects from them. All of mine have packed around my shoes for some reason. Some pups may be a little slower at development but they will come around. Good luck with your pup

Chrapm1

Post by Chrapm1 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:57 am

tops911 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:40 pm
Congrats on the DD pup; I'm on my 3 DD and just finished my newest pups VJP last weekend. I dont think you need to add any scent to a tennis ball, it'll smell like you after the first time you hold it. I tried scent on my first Dokken pheasant dummy and realized it was a waste of time those dogs can smell the dummies with no problem. I'm not a fan of tennis balls for dogs, I think they cause mouthing issues (chewing on them). Can you get the pup a real bird or bunny to chase and catch? Nothing will make a pup parade around carrying something like a live bird or a bunny. Another option is to try a Dokken dummy. Try a dove, chucker or a foam Dokken bumper, those are good sizes for a pup. My dogs prefer the Dokken dummies and it seems like the bigger the better. I have a Dokken goose and even my Teckel (wirehair dachshund) wanted to retrieve it, water retrieves but she could not get it up the bank. I also don't scold the pup (or older dogs) for carrying around other objects like shoes, I do praise them then take the objects from them. All of mine have packed around my shoes for some reason. Some pups may be a little slower at development but they will come around. Good luck with your pup
Thanks for the suggestions! This morning after some rest she got excited and did 3 good very short retrieves with tennis ball. I stopped after that but it's like you said it will just take patience and to not force it. I know she will do great with live/dead animals as I've seen her excitement already with things of that nature. I'm going to look into those Dokken dummys also.

tops911

Post by tops911 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:16 am

How old is the pup? On my newest pup I changed how I wanted the pup to "come". I trained this pup from the beginning to sit in front of me. This also is where she will sit to deliver for retrieve. I used taught my other 2 DDs to deliver at a heel, but changed to in front of me with this pup. I like it a lot better. I also keep treats in a shirt pocket so when the pup sits she is looking up for the treat. The pup sits and looks me in the eyes, which I like. Now when she brings me things she sits in front and looks up at me. With a young pup and working to future force fetching get the pup trained as to where you want the pup to come and sit to deliver once you start the force fetching program.
Just some suggestions.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:46 pm

You could... I see no value in it on the dog’s behalf.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:22 am

Some dogs are not retrievers. They never think that fetch is a fun game. They will, however bring you game when you are hunting and apparently, in a doggy brain, that isn't the same thing at all.

I suggest that you keep the fetch sessions short. One or two fetches, end on a good note. If you do too many retrieves with a dog that isn't keen to fetch, the dog will get bored and will sour on the game. When the pup gets older, you can force fetch or clicker train a reliable fetch, but even then, if the dog isn't a retriever at heart, keep the lessons short.

Chrapm1

Post by Chrapm1 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:32 am

oregon woodsmoke wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:22 am
Some dogs are not retrievers. They never think that fetch is a fun game. They will, however bring you game when you are hunting and apparently, in a doggy brain, that isn't the same thing at all.

I suggest that you keep the fetch sessions short. One or two fetches, end on a good note. If you do too many retrieves with a dog that isn't keen to fetch, the dog will get bored and will sour on the game. When the pup gets older, you can force fetch or clicker train a reliable fetch, but even then, if the dog isn't a retriever at heart, keep the lessons short.
That is my plans, keeping them really short. She is getting better this week but again 2-3 short fetches with excitement (5 ft) and that's all I'm doing, and not everyday either. Thought is like our brains they need some rest days too. She's 11 weeks old. I'm thinking the real game will also help when she gets older because her nose and other learning aspects have been incredible so far.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:14 pm

Putting scent on balls to play fetch can be precarious to say the least ,fortunate if one has a breed with a soft mouth, but not a game I would play. :lol:
I always like those dog owners in the park with those 'ball throwers' ,and the dog absolutely loves the game of chase, and will do it over and over again all day long! ..I wonder why , so many advocate that only x number of retrieves'' per session or per day is a rule of thumb? . :roll:
The coming back bit of 'Fido fetching a stick' , is often where 'retrieve' is misunderstood by both mammals and more often made boring and no longer a game to continue for both. :wink:
Like I was just saying today with the Malinois

tops911

Post by tops911 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:21 pm

With the pup being 11 weeks it's just a matter of taking your time. The pup will come around, I let them carry around anything they pick up (within reason) at that age. I do think exposure to live game at an early age real wakes up these dogs instincts. It won't be long and the pup will be a retrieving fool! Good luck.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:26 am

There is no worse PIA in the dog world than a dog that is obsessed with running after a ball and drives you crazy trying to get you to throw it for him. Why anybody would train a dog to do that is totally beyond my comprehension. Throwing a ball covered we dog slobber is not the most fun thing to do in dog training. This same dog might not have any interest in retrieving a bird in the field.
It makes even less sense to put scent on your balls. They already have a your scent. My suggestion is don't do it.......Cj

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:03 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:38 pm
You'll have to keep in mind with these German dog's that some take to becoming a handling waterfowl dog and some don't. They are brilliant dogs which can make them very difficult to train; they bore easily. So, if you are to make it a full fledge waterfowl dog, keep sessions short and interesting. Really, without seeing the dog it's hard to say, but my inclination would be to stop formal work like obedience which can bore the most dynamic of dog's to death, and concentrate on fun things like pointing and retrieving balls. Dog's with little retrieving desire love retrieving bouncy balls like tennis balls. The other thing is, some dog's develop later than others. That's why it's important at this age not to bore or pressure them. Let them develop on their time schedule. Fpt un, fun, fun; that's what it's all about.
Probably worth taking a look at gonehuntin post?....Except the Germanic part,