Puppy yapping & barking

TxReddog

Puppy yapping & barking

Post by TxReddog » Fri May 07, 2021 4:01 pm

3.5 month old Vizsla that yaps & barks more than any other puppy I’ve had in the past. This one is a very bull headed pup that will not stop. She’s health and gets plenty of exercise daily. Our poor 10 year old Vizsla looks just like a grumpy old fed up man having to deal with it. It’s been progressively getting worse. We have never had to use a bark collar in the past, but it’s to the point now that it’s really being considered.

What have any of you that’s had to deal with this in the past used to curve the yapping/ barking urge in a young pup.

TIA

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy yapping & barking

Post by Sharon » Fri May 07, 2021 5:23 pm

I rescue Jack Russells ; they are big time barkers/ property protectors. :) I've used an anti bark collar effectively. You shouldn't leave it on 24/7 though. Training is necessary. ( 5 months old is a bit early but.........)
I use the "No noise! " command . If it continues the collar goes on . After several / days weeks , when I say "No noise!" ,and reach for the collar, he stops on his own.

P.S. I've had the Garmin for many years with no problems.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

TxReddog

Post by TxReddog » Sat May 08, 2021 7:58 am

Thanks Sharon

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:18 pm

Is the dog in the house with you?

I fill a squirt bottle with water and about a Tablespoon of coat conditioner. If the dog is barking, I calmly give the command "quiet" and if the dog doesn't shut up immediately, I give them a squirt of water. That will startle the dog into silence and I can praise "Good. Good quiet. Good dog"

Don't aim for the face. Aim for the shoulder. You want to startle the dog not hurt it. Some dogs will ignore plain water, but no dog will ignore the stinky coat conditioner, and it is good for his coat and won't damage the dog's eyes if you miss your shot.

I don't want my dogs to never bark. I want an alarm bark, which I will praise, but then they are told that I've got it and they should be quiet now. They can learn pretty quickly to let me know when there is something there and then to shut up when I see what it is.

If my dogs disobey in the distance, there is always the shock collar, which says "I can still reach you way over there". But the e collar does not really teach anything. The dog must learn what the command means before you expect him to guess what to do to make the shock stop.

My dogs stop barking outside when I tell them to be quiet. I suppose that with full time kennel dogs it would take longer to teach it because you would have to be there to make the correction while the dog learns what the command means.

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:28 pm

I had a Vizsla that talked a lot. She was smart, bull headed and had a lot of personality. She didn't bark as much as she roo roo'd liked Scooby Doo with her butt in the air any time I didn't do what she wanted or I was doing something she didn't like. She would snort sometimes if she got really frustrated. I was never allowed to hug my wife in front of her. If I persisted and ignored her warnings I might get a light chomp on the butt. She communicated a lot and I am glad I didn't try to punish her for it. That said, there is a difference between that and nuisance barking

She was a house dog, we argued a lot and she made me laugh all the time. She died two days before her 7th birthday from cancer. Seldom a week goes by that I don't think about her. I will likely never have another like her. Our other Vizsla is completely different and always quiet.You just never know.

One thing you could try is give her more exercise and play time than she is getting. It might be more mental than physical. She might be barking out of boredom. Some dogs need more stimulation than others. I have a young GSP that requires more exercise than any dog I have had in the past. She can't be outside or run enough. I just bought a roading bar to hook up to my ATV and we are going to start using it 3 or 4 times a week. It will get her in shape for hunting and give her more of what she evidently needs.

TxReddog

Post by TxReddog » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:49 pm

Little Rosie has been getting a lot better since we’ve been focusing more on training. She has just crossed the 5 month mark and is a super smart pup. Positive reinforcement training, patience, mental stimulation, & exercise have been a great combo. She’s already retrieving bumper dummies, dropping on command, & loves people and other dogs. Yes she still throws a little attitude sometimes but it’s just her personality as a pup.

At the time I initially posted this we were a little at wits end. Since then also with the help of our 10 year old male, she has learned some valuable manners. No where close to perfect but a work in progress.

Two years ago we suddenly lost Chica our 10 year old female to cancer. She was one of the smartest dogs I’ve ever had and we see all the same qualities in our new pup Rosie. It’s been a while since we’ve had a pup so we’re reminded daily she’s looking for directions from us. My wife was not initially excited about the new pup but has since been a life saver with the training…