Problem with hights

Nyzk

Problem with hights

Post by Nyzk » Fri May 28, 2021 9:33 pm

So my dog has a problem with hights and what i've read says to leave that fear in them but some of the places I hunt you have to go up a bit of a cliff and it was okay last year because I could throw her over my shoulder and climb up that way but she is to big for that now, so any ideas would be welcome

weimdogman

Re: Problem with hights

Post by weimdogman » Sat May 29, 2021 7:58 am

Here means here .

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat May 29, 2021 8:19 am

Are we talking a rock climbing cliff face that is impassable except for goats and some supernatural humans?

I would walk up the "cliff" and carry on... the dog will find a way.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sat May 29, 2021 6:56 pm

slistoe wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 8:19 am
Are we talking a rock climbing cliff face that is impassable except for goats and some supernatural humans?

I think places like Idaho are a little different than the coullees of Southern Alberta :lol:

Nyzk

Post by Nyzk » Sun May 30, 2021 10:46 am

slistoe wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 8:19 am

yeah its a "Rock climbing cliff" but its not to tall and the ways around are impassable unless you have an axe and a rope to help you climb she could probably climb it if she wanted to but she is terrified of hights, and sure its hard to get to but so are all the good hunting spots

mask

Post by mask » Sun May 30, 2021 11:49 am

How about putting a long lead on her and helping her along. Letting her hang up in a rough and you having to physically get her through it is not going to help in the long run.

Nyzk

Post by Nyzk » Sun May 30, 2021 3:30 pm

that might work I will try that once the snow finishes melting, Thank you

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:51 am

I find this strange because my dogs always find the easiest way up or down.

What I would do is climb up to where you want to go, calling to your dog on the way. Once at the top call your dog once more and then move out of sight at least 50 yards. Then just wait. It might take some time. If the dog doesn't show fire a couple of shots and give what ever your command is for getting down birds. I assume you are using a tracking collar and a whistle.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:05 pm

Perhaps the dog's the smart one? I, personally, wouldn't put any dog of mine knowingly in a dangerous situation like that. Listen to the dog. Find an easier way or hunt somewhere else.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:29 pm

Crossbreed with a Goat would be interesting ?..Well, they have been successful with everything from cockadoodles to spaniadors, and even Silver labs .So why not Goathounds .

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Always with training, you start small and teach activities step by step. Break the activity down into it's components

Find places with short climbs... really short climbs. Baby hills. As tiny as is necessary for the dog to be confident. Let the dog master that and then go and find slightly taller hills. Work your way up gradually as the dog builds confidence. Reward, praise, reward again at each successful climb.

I'm going to assume that the dog was injured or frightened by being over-matched on a climb. Back to square one and go slow.

Rule of thumb with horses is that a horse can go any place that a man can go as long as a man doesn't use his hands. I think that is a good rule of thumb for dogs, too. The dog can go anywhere that you can go as long as you don't use your hands. If you have to use your hands to climb that cliff, it is too much for a dog to handle and it is unsafe for the dog.

I don't care how good the hunting is, it isn't worth frightening or injuring your dog to get there.

Greatbasin

Post by Greatbasin » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:35 pm

I took my pup to a fancy kids play ground that has huge boulders and picnick tables. I taught her with treats and a clicker to "kennel" on those items and soon it becomes great fun with nothing to fear. Now you should see her in the chukar rocks, she doesn't skip a step.

Nyzk

Post by Nyzk » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:54 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:05 pm
Perhaps the dog's the smart one? I, personally, wouldn't put any dog of mine knowingly in a dangerous situation like that. Listen to the dog. Find an easier way or hunt somewhere else.
Always with training, you start small and teach activities step by step. Break the activity down into it's components

Find places with short climbs... really short climbs. Baby hills. As tiny as is necessary for the dog to be confident. Let the dog master that and then go and find slightly taller hills. Work your way up gradually as the dog builds confidence. Reward, praise, reward again at each successful climb.

I'm going to assume that the dog was injured or frightened by being over-matched on a climb. Back to square one and go slow.

Rule of thumb with horses is that a horse can go any place that a man can go as long as a man doesn't use his hands. I think that is a good rule of thumb for dogs, too. The dog can go anywhere that you can go as long as you don't use your hands. If you have to use your hands to climb that cliff, it is too much for a dog to handle and it is unsafe for the dog.

I don't care how good the hunting is, it isn't worth frightening or injuring your dog to get there.

Thank you guys for the advice I wont be going there again

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:07 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:05 pm
Ditto! Never ever put my dog's into an area they could get hurt in. I strongly suspect a dog would chase a flying bird right off a cliff!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mask

Post by mask » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:43 pm

If you are afraid you or your dog is going to get hurt do not hunt chukar. Every time you turn a dog loose danger could be near. I have never seen a dog run off a cliff or a rim rock but if you don't want a dog at risk don't turn it loose.