Retrieve

amegslw16

Retrieve

Post by amegslw16 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:59 pm

My dog is 29 weeks now she’s a black lab. She was fetching bumper tennis balls etc. Now she won’t retrieve anything any help please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Retrieve

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:27 pm

Welcome to the forum. :) Any retriever experts available to help this new member?

Sometimes using a well recommended video series is a good idea.

" I think the best retriever training videos are Mike Lardy’s Total Retriever Series. I also think that Dennis Voigt’s Training Retrievers Alone and 25 Essential Retriever Training Drills are great supplements if you train by yourself. Don’t forget online retriever training programs like Cornerstone and Retriever Training." quote

https://www.easyretrievertraining.com/b ... ng-videos/

I'd also recommend Evan Graham's Retriever Training Books & DVDs

https://www.gundogsupply.com/rettrainvid.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:46 pm

Almost 6 months!, she could be coming into season, or even false, 'teething' is usually earlier about 3-4 month , but some are later. Repetition , to get Perfection, or Precise' usually results in lack of desire ...specially' with retrievers, at 6 months old. Lay off for a couple of weeks, just play . It's Summer, keep cool.

amegslw16

Post by amegslw16 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:13 pm

polmaise wrote:Almost 6 months!, she could be coming into season, or even false, 'teething' is usually earlier about 3-4 month , but some are later. Repetition , to get Perfection, or Precise' usually results in lack of desire ...specially' with retrievers, at 6 months old. Lay off for a couple of weeks, just play . It's Summer, keep cool.
She’s got all her adult teeth and she’s been spayed already. But I appreciate the advice I’ll keep y’all posted.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:13 am

Need a little more information. My first guess would be though that you've thrown the pup so many retrieves, he's burned out. You have to keep it interesting and challenging for these dog's. Stop throwing him retrieves for a week or two, then start up again, throwing no more than six retrieves and keep them short and fun.

Is the pup from good breeding?

At six months that pup should be a retrieving maniac and ready to go into FF and strict obedience.

Give us a response detailing EXACTLY what you've done with it so far.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

amegslw16

Post by amegslw16 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:31 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Need a little more information. My first guess would be though that you've thrown the pup so many retrieves, he's burned out. You have to keep it interesting and challenging for these dog's. Stop throwing him retrieves for a week or two, then start up again, throwing no more than six retrieves and keep them short and fun.

Is the pup from good breeding?

At six months that pup should be a retrieving maniac and ready to go into FF and strict obedience.

Give us a response detailing EXACTLY what you've done with it so far.
Ok so I did take your advice didn’t throw since I asked for help and tonight she was fetching like a beast!! So I had he spayed and I believe that might of had something to do with it. She is of very good breed, I got her a little late at 14 weeks. I didn’t think I was going to use her to hunt until about end of April. We just been working on basic obedience and basic retrieves. Having her sit until tell her to go, I’m not sure how to begin the force fetch where I won’t turn her off. I’m new to this and she’s the first hunting dog ever.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:01 am

Join a retriever club or find a willing mentor. Watching how others train will help give you a visual picture of what to do. Otherwise, the DVDs recommended already are excellent, and you have gotten some very good advice already. Your dog is still young, and might need training to be more about short sessions and fun rather than drilling for perfection. Have fun with your pup this summer.