Trainer - Need a Recommendation

Grover

Trainer - Need a Recommendation

Post by Grover » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:48 am

I have a GSP puppy and am looking for a trainer (someone who will take the pup for 2 weeks to work on the basics of upland hunting). Does anyone know of a trainer that they would recommend in the NY, NJ, Ct, Pa area? I plan on sending her when she is about 6 months old.

Thanks!

birddogger2

Re: Trainer - Need a Recommendation

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:11 pm

Grover -

I don't know anyone who would take a dog for two weeks for anything resembling hunting dog training. Anyone who says they would...I would be very skeptical of. That ain't the way it works.

There may be some folks with whom you could spend a day, or two... so they could show YOU how to work with your youngster. There are organizations, like Navhda, that have local clubs and training days where you can go and work with your dogs in group setting. There are usually some fairly experienced folks there, but they are there to work with their own dogs and may not have the time or desire todo what you need.

How old is the puppy now? What training have you done with it so far? What type of hunting and what level of performance do you want to see out of your dog? Where are you located?

Typically, one sends a bird dog off for formal training when it is about 8-12 months old and already has a fairly good foundation in obedience. Typically the formal bird hunting training takes about three months. The first couple or three weeks are spent getting the dog to respond to it new trainer in its new environment. When you get the dog back, it is typically fairly good at pointing and holding until you flush, but will probably break at the flush.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss.

RayG

Dakotazeb

Re: Trainer - Need a Recommendation

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:12 pm

birddogger2 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:11 pm
Grover -

I don't know anyone who would take a dog for two weeks for anything resembling hunting dog training. Anyone who says they would...I would be very skeptical of. That ain't the way it works.

There may be some folks with whom you could spend a day, or two... so they could show YOU how to work with your youngster. There are organizations, like Navhda, that have local clubs and training days where you can go and work with your dogs in group setting. There are usually some fairly experienced folks there, but they are there to work with their own dogs and may not have the time or desire todo what you need.

How old is the puppy now? What training have you done with it so far? What type of hunting and what level of performance do you want to see out of your dog? Where are you located?

Typically, one sends a bird dog off for formal training when it is about 8-12 months old and already has a fairly good foundation in obedience. Typically the formal bird hunting training takes about three months. The first couple or three weeks are spent getting the dog to respond to it new trainer in its new environment. When you get the dog back, it is typically fairly good at pointing and holding until you flush, but will probably break at the flush.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss.

RayG
What he said. 6 months is too young in my opinion and 2 weeks isn't enough time to accomplish much, if anything, at all.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5