Roading Cables

atothek

Roading Cables

Post by atothek » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:55 pm

Hello,

I’ve seen several good posts regarding using welding cables attached to a harness for roading.
Does anyone have a picture showing how a snap is attached to the cables?

Thank you!
Aaron

birddogger2

Re: Roading Cables

Post by birddogger2 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:39 pm

I haven't used cables in many years, but I rigged them sorta like wire rope.

It is vital to use a metal thimble because the metal of the snap will saw right through the plastic coating AND the soft copper..VERY quickly. Put the snap inside the thimble, roll the cable over the thimble, lock the cable in tight with clamps and tape over any ends with electrical tape.

I used a "hammer in place" rope clamps, sized for 5/8" rope but if you can't find one the right size, regular screw clamp wire clamps will do as long as you tape over the exposed screw ends with electrical tape so they don't dig into the dog.

Actually if I had to use screw type clamps, I'd loctite them in and grind the excess screw flush with the clamp body.

Oh yeah... either paint the cables a fluorescent orange or neon blue or or use a reflective tape. Regular welding cable, especially if it is black, can be a real SOB to find, even in short grass, much less heavy weeds.

RayG

atothek

Post by atothek » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:15 pm

Ray, that’s a great description. Thank you!

Greatbasin

Post by Greatbasin » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm

I live in the city and because I need to be roaded as much as my gwp's. I take them out with a bicycle or a skateboard. I just use about 10-12 ft. of soft heavy rope like 1/2 in. with a bowline loop. Way more fun.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:20 am

Greatbasin wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
I live in the city and because I need to be roaded as much as my gwp's. I take them out with a bicycle or a skateboard. I just use about 10-12 ft. of soft heavy rope like 1/2 in. with a bowline loop. Way more fun.
I am envious on a couple different levels. If I tried either one of those things that with one of my pointers, I'd be in the hospital shortly after the attempt. Heck, if I tried a skateboard, all by itself... no dog involved...that almost certainly wouldn't end well for me these days. God bless you if you can.

I used to road my dogs through the subdivision, on foot with them in harness and attached to me via a rope hooked to an 8"wide weightlifters belt to keep them from wrecking my lower back. I mostly roaded them one at a time because they pulled pretty hard.

I ain't no flyweight...never was... but still got snatched off my feet and dragged on a couple of occasions when a squirrel or rabbit unexpectedly darted across the sidewalk... and yeah, I was roading two dogs instead of just one because I was in a hurry.

RayG

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:51 am

birddogger2 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:20 am
Greatbasin wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
I am envious on a couple different levels. If I tried either one of those things that with one of my pointers, I'd be in the hospital shortly after the attempt. Heck, if I tried a skateboard, all by itself... no dog involved...that almost certainly wouldn't end well for me these days. God bless you if you can.

I used to road my dogs through the subdivision, on foot with them in harness and attached to me via a rope hooked to an 8"wide weightlifters belt to keep them from wrecking my lower back. I mostly roaded them one at a time because they pulled pretty hard.

I ain't no flyweight...never was... but still got snatched off my feet and dragged on a couple of occasions when a squirrel or rabbit unexpectedly darted across the sidewalk... and yeah, I was roading two dogs instead of just one because I was in a hurry.

RayG
I have been thinking about one of these.

https://snowpawstore.com/collections/do ... og-scooter

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:04 am

RyanDoolittle wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:51 am

I have been thinking about one of these.

https://snowpawstore.com/collections/do ... og-scooter
That scooter looks an awful lot likesome of the better scooters that the Amish folks use down by me. If you have an Amish community nearby, you might check into availability. I suspect an Amish version, even a high end one, would be less expensive.

RayG