Floppy Head Retrieving Dummy

oregon woodsmoke

Floppy Head Retrieving Dummy

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:12 pm

Just curious. Do dogs like the retrieving dummies with the floppy head and tail that are supposed to look like a bird?

Bigger than anything, no dog is tricked into thinking that is a bird. Is the "bird" look a thing to appeal to the dog owner or do the dogs really like to fetch those.

Yeah, I saw the part about how it trains the dog to carry properly, but every video I see of them, the dog is happily carrying the thing by the "head".

My dog won't think it is a bird, but if dogs really do think these things are neat and fun, I will get a couple of them. In my opinion, anything a dog is happy to carry qualifies as good.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Floppy Head Retrieving Dummy

Post by DonF » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:21 pm

Opinion? Just a gimmick to sell to dog owners!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:45 pm

oregon woodsmoke wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:12 pm
My dog won't think it is a bird, but if dogs really do think these things are neat and fun, I will get a couple of them. In my opinion, anything a dog is happy to carry qualifies as good.

Presuming you are referring to the Dokken Dead Fowl Trainer Hunting Dog Dummy, my dogs like them very much. They do retrieve them from the center of the bird and on those practically nonexistent times when they don't, I just use a negative tone and hand them back to the dog with a fetch command. The variety of sizes and weights is useful too. Can't use the same old canvas dummies all the time. Hard to say how effective they are -- my dogs are good retrievers, anyway-- but they definitely like these dummies.

tops911

Post by tops911 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:28 pm

I use the Dokkens (dead fowl as well as their foam bumpers) and all the dogs prefer them over any other bumper/ retrieving object. I think it helps with a correct hold.The Dokken foam bumpers have a thin throwing rope which I think discourages carrying by the rope by young pups. I also put the throwing ball thing on the end of every Dokken fowl or bumper, it really helps with throwing them. I have a Dokken goose that is over 18 years old and on its 3rd Drahthaar. The goose teaches them how to hold and carry a heavy object, I use it on land and in water. My Teckel (wirehair dachshund) all 18 pounds of her was retrieving the goose in the water, of course she could not get it up the bank but she wanted it and I was impressed with her desire to retrieve it. Of the 3 Drahthaars Ive trained when doing retrieving drills (just a pile of stuff) its 50-50 between a stuffed fox and the Dokken goose as to which they will bring back first.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:54 pm

oregon woodsmoke wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:12 pm
In my opinion, anything a dog is happy to carry qualifies as good.
I agree. My little Cocker 'Paddy' in training point blanked a canvass dummy in training, but he loved collecting my my slippers and bringing them to me. IWe called him the 'slipper collector' . One day I put a canvass dummy inside my slipper and Voila' , he was a canvass dummy slipper collector, the next day he was a Bona Fide' canvass dummy collector .
Ihad a student with a Retriever that blinked all bumpers , except it's favorite plastic Cow ! , yup ! ..a little plastic/squeaky cow that went 'Moooo' , I kid you Not! (I have the pictures and the videos in training) The same handler/student is now a Judge/secretary/Open retriever winner /and /Field trial winner and a Trainer !!! Not with the same dog though.
If it works , use it ...Pretty sure it's the process ,rather than the product , but hey' what do I know.
gundog training.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.