Dog training books

darko2

Dog training books

Post by darko2 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:54 am

What are the best and worst dog training books on the market?

I have read some of the reviews for a few of the popular ones, such as Good Owners, Great Dogs and Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete, but I would like to get your thoughts on which books you have found most and least helpful.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog training books

Post by slistoe » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:31 am

Best Way to Train your Gundog by Bill Tarrant.
Pointing Dog Training by Nicky Bissell

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:03 pm

As mentioned in another thread, there is a lot of different ways to get a dog to stop chasing birds and install the brakes. I know for a fact the guys/gals here who I respect the most and provide us with the best advice (like the post before mine) have read many a book and derived their own approach from all they have read, paired with a vast amount of experience in the field. No one system or style is best, because every dog is different and every handler is different. Good trainers also adapt to the dog as much or more than the dog adapts to them.

Theory and practice are two separate things, and oftentimes those who are the best at the practice are not the best at explaining the theory. There is no substitute for mentorship and getting your hands dirty so you can learn from your own mistakes and triumphs.

I have found much of the Lindley, Gibbons, and West approach the easiest for me to understand, follow and implement. I have also found many things shared here, in other videos, and books that have proven very helpful. I am sure there are many who would have to take pity on me and my dogs in our lack of exacting standards, but finding a natural progression and slowing the process down to seasons instead of months has made the process more fun than the end result.

Posted it once before, but here it is again. Another good resource amongst the many.

http://www.oknavhda.com/docs/Steady_With_Style.pdf

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:34 pm

That Lindley guy's style sounds appealing. Just from skimming the PDF "book" it looks like he has a positive type training approach. :) I dislike aversive training methods.
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

Idylwyld

Post by Idylwyld » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:38 am

BlessedGirl wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:34 pm
That Lindley guy's style sounds appealing.
Mos book is good. Heres a video from the "root" of Mos method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amqSD1n ... 1&t=19sIts old, not greatest quality, and long, but if you watch carefully, it tells a lot. as an aside. Carded birds are falling out of vogue with most in favor of launchers.
I am a throw back and dont use launchers but very little. Mostly because of I dont need them due to the right terrain to use carded birds.

Gibbons and West were my mentors, Both have passed. I have took a few ideas from MO and Dave Walker also.

In case you have an interest. Here is some videos my grandson took of my "old school" Gibbons/ West dog training. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8JxsD2WKEK
My lack of movie production skills should be seen as irrelevant. I just dont have any. My teenage grandson has been dubbed my IT guy.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:16 pm

darko2 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:54 am
What are the best and worst dog training books on the market?

I have read some of the reviews for a few of the popular ones, such as Good Owners, Great Dogs and Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete, but I would like to get your thoughts on which books you have found most and least helpful.
Books are great! every one of them have a 'Gem' in them .The more you read them, the more you understand what the author(s) are saying. I just wish some dogs could read, it would be a whole load easier with this 'gundog training stuff' 8)
A popular book by a human reading it is best seller I think? ..
In 1983 I started a journal for every dog I Ever owned ,and every dog I ever trained for someone else ,and Every dog and handler I was involved with at every stage and every level of expectation(s).
Every one in scripture(old writing on a piece of paper) and text in pc (file on computer) has never , ever been what it said in any book I EVER read, but they had some similarities ,that I never knew at the time when I was reading that particular book.
What are the best and worst of anything on the market ?

Idylwyld

Post by Idylwyld » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:36 pm

polmaise wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:16 pm
Books are great! every one of them have a 'Gem' in them .The more you read them, the more you understand what the author(s) are saying.
You make an excellent point. Every dog training book I have read I gleaned something useful.