Chesapeake Training

Iowa_Dude

Chesapeake Training

Post by Iowa_Dude » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:12 pm

I am still having an issue with nipping "play nipping". I correct him non stop. I have used "the claw" with a loud "blah" sound that backs him off successfully for a second until he thinks I'm playing and then proceed to bark growl and act like he is going to bite at me. He will not make contact but continue (trying to nip) until he feels comfortable to finally start making contact again in which I correct yet again. He's not being aggressive or trying to inflict pain, he is simply trying to play. But, he does get pretty pinchy now and then. I have tried the lip lapping over tooth technique, I have tried the ignore him technique. I have tried them "give him a dumb chew toy" which was the worst one of all. I have slapped his nose "gently ish" but he will not break this. is there any other ideas out there? should I be more aggressive? looking for a little help. Thank You.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Chesapeake Training

Post by slistoe » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:25 pm

IMO there is absolutely no circumstance where a pup should use it's teeth in an interaction with a human. If a 9 week old pup requires a third correction then I haven't done the first two properly. Of course if the dog is older and you have allowed the pup to continue in the behavior by playing rather than correcting the dog (our perception is different than the dogs perception, and it is the dog's perception that matters in this case) then it will be a harder row to hoe - the sooner you start changing his perception of the situation the better.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:51 pm

slistoe wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:25 pm
IMO there is absolutely no circumstance where a pup should use it's teeth in an interaction with a human. If a 9 week old pup requires a third correction then I haven't done the first two properly. Of course if the dog is older and you have allowed the pup to continue in the behavior by playing rather than correcting the dog (our perception is different than the dogs perception, and it is the dog's perception that matters in this case) then it will be a harder row to hoe - the sooner you start changing his perception of the situation the better.
What Scott said. There is no excuse EVER to allow biting.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:06 pm

All pups/dogs including Chesapeake's use their mouth /for almost everything.
Sounds like you have a 'tug and war' - play and misunderstanding going on ?
Hard thing for some to do .....? Ever wondered how the Lion Tamer at the circus manages to put his head in it's mouth .
Teething/Niping/Biting ...Put your full fist straight straight in that gob , and sure she opens like Sesame 'Sez a me'! No need for words or physical assault , just pure pressure and them jaws open rather than close. ps I wouldn't do it on one that has full canines and learned to hold on though .lol