The Flush/Stop Cue

Higgins

The Flush/Stop Cue

Post by Higgins » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:00 am

I'll be posting some new videos soon on how we hunt over and handle the dogs with the Higgins method. Below is a link to a related video shot a couple of years ago. The hunts are quiet and calm. Like a walk in the park.

https://youtu.be/PfWSJ4TYt6o

Accompanying video text:
This is one of our black pointer pups, Olive, in the field today during one of our training hunts. Here, she finds a bird and waits for us to catch up. Once we arrive, I get the shooter in place and give Olive our Flush/Stop cue. She did her beautiful aggressive flush to present the bird to the guns, but the bird refused to fly. So what does she do? She stops, resets and waits to be cued again. She does a second flush on cue and stops. She is then sent for the retrieve. Dogs are pretty smart if you trust them and give them the freedom to make decisions.
No e-collars are used. The collar in the video is a GPS collar.

art hubbard

Re: The Flush/Stop Cue

Post by art hubbard » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:05 pm

Really, really good work. GSP with a long tail ?

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:52 pm

Hello Art. She is a pointer from my imported European lines. You don’t see many solid colored pointers in the states.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:46 am

Very Cool !

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:00 am

Higgins wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:52 pm
Hello Art. She is a pointer from my imported European lines. You don’t see many solid colored pointers in the states.
I have a solid black GSP.

fourseasons

Post by fourseasons » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:54 am

Not intending to hijack your topic (apologies), but since you've mentioned solid-colored Pointers here is a photo of my solid black Pointer (all titles AKC):
Ch V.I.P.'S READY EVER AFTER OF DANCINDOLL JHA RI CGC TT TKN RATN
(sired by one of my dogs, he's out of a solid black NZ import bitch, she goes back to Aussie solid Pointer bird dog lines)
He's a great bird dog!!
Finished his show champion title this year in about one month's time with four major wins, plus all of the other titles were earned in this year too. Absolutely the best and most loving temperament, too. A good number of solids out on the East Coast USA - gooooooo SOLIDS! :wink:

point.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:54 pm

Congrats on an obviously exceptional dog. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Not Hijacking , but to expropriate, Super looking dog KC !
Whenever 'color' is accentuated I think of Black lab /yellow lab , and Liver-white Spaniel/White-liver spaniel ,then comes along a Boykin. lolx
Kudos on the 'Dual' show/working, not an easy for many .
Always enjoyed Higgins videos ,because they show what many people do and have done the same way for decades. Was the video clipped at the end ?

mask

Post by mask » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:22 am

Really enjoy your videos so please keep them coming. Have a merry Christmas and great New Year.