Training Tips Wanted

Hunters1

Training Tips Wanted

Post by Hunters1 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:58 pm

Hoping to get some ideas on this issue that I have with my 7 year old GSP. I am sure I created the problem by not addressing it more aggressively when she was younger by not knowing how to train her. Great hunter in all aspects for my foot style hunting except holding point till shot. I would appreciate any tips, suggestions, suggested readings, or whatever that I could use/ read to work on this aspect with her. I welcome all thoughts and ideas. I truly believe that she can master holding point even at her late age, and I am willing to put in the time needed. Thanks for any help you would be willing to share.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Training Tips Wanted

Post by cjhills » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:24 am

train her to a rock solid whoa. Use pigeons to teach her that a bird means stop, in the air, on the ground or anywhere else.
You can do this by throwing pigeons to start, if you have a launcher, launch the bird if she does not stop immediately when she has the scent or if she moves once she establishes a point. I caution the dog when he is on point, some people don't like that. When you walk in to flush the bird do not walk up directly behind the dog, swing out to the side so the dog can see you. Don't shoot any birds the dog flushed' accidentally or intentionally.
You can deinitely teach an old dog new tricks........Cj

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:05 pm

Very useful recent video link on this board under "Good demonstration of launchers" posted by Garrison. Worth watching.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:27 pm

Tip No. 1 .... Never shoot a bird your dog has flushed, either accidently or purposely.
Tip No. 2 ..... Don't expect to fix a problem in a month that you have ignored for 7 yrs.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:54 pm

Tip Number 2 by coveyrise is an exceptionally good point... so to speak.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:49 pm

You have been given solid advice. I would "go back" almost to square one with the dog. Do whoa drills in the yard on a rope, then introduce a pigeon, in the yard with the dog still on the rope. If you have trained the dog with an e-collar, nick the dog if it moves. Demand perfection before you move to the next step. If you don't... you probably won't get where you want to be with the dog.

Keep at it until the dog is rock solid in the yard...however you train. By rock solid I mean not moving a toenail through flight of the bird AND SHOT. The only time the dog should move is when you walk over to it and physically release the dog with a pat(I prefer a pat on the flank).

Then take the dog into the field and start all over again with the dog on the rope. Follow the exact same process you did in the yard, with the same requirements. The dog has to remain dead solid until you walk over and physically release.

THEN... you can shoot a bird for the dog. If it moves at the shot....nick the dog with the e-collar or use whatever training tool to cue the dog and set it back up. You want the dog steady to wing, shot AND fall. This is training, so you want to go one step beyond. In the field, if the dog breaks at fall...no big deal. That is fine for a hunting dog...but if you train it to be steady to fall in training and let it slip poccasionally or even all the time when hunting, you can always tighten back up in training.

Keep one thing in mind. You have a HUGE advantage working for you. Your dog has been hunting for several years now and knows that the ultimate reward is wrapping its gums around a bird. As long as the dog understands that by doing what you are asking...it gets to eventually get a bird in its choppers... it will do what you are asking. It may not like it at first, but if the reward is there... it will happen.

Years ago I had a dog that was staunch only. I trained him to stand until the bird flew and then he was off to the races. Killed a TON of birds over him. When he was about 5, I decided to try some field trials and, well, he was the dog I had...so, with some help, I got him steady enough to wing and shot to put a couple walking shooting dog placements on him. It took a while, but he got with the program. If I can do it, you can too.

RayG

Hunters1

Post by Hunters1 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:12 pm

Thanks for the "tips". I have been revisiting the Whoa training and she is doing pretty good. Not where she needs to be but it is encouraging and I will stick with it and not rush moving on to the next step. Thanks to each of you for your input. We will get there. Paul