Recall worries during na test

Amh22

Recall worries during na test

Post by Amh22 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:47 pm

Hello and thanks for any help. My dog has fairly good recall MOST of the time. He comes to a whistle and/or to my call. However major distractions or a tough day can make him ignore the whistle and take off. It’s pretty scary. It’s only then I give him a ‘bump’ with the e collar. He turns around immediately and comes back. I think the collar works more to get his attention again. I’m hoping we don’t need it eventually. He was a year old this month and I’ve signed him up for the natural ability test next month. I’ve read the rules and just saw that he won’t be allowed to wear the collar during the test. I’m concerned. With all those birds around not to mention dogs and people I’m afraid I’ll lose my dog. Has anyone any experience with this?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Recall worries during na test

Post by shags » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:23 am

What do you mean by he takes off? Does he just continue to do his own thing, like hunting to the front; or does he run away entirely?

I've always started using the ecollar as a long arm of the law at the time my pups began ignoring a recall command. If they didn't respond immediately they got a little nick to remind them to obey. We worked on this intentionally, meaning free running and a few recalls were all we did in that session.
When they came to me, they got some atta boys and were sent on their way again. I did this because I didn't want them to figure out that obeying a recall meant the end to the fun.
Besides training in conditions where there were few distractions, I set them up with some temptations. Maybe with other people and noise and activity around, or when they got to chasing killdeers, or when they were going hellbent in one direction and I changed to another. Again, they got one command and a nick if they didn't respond immediately (in the field, remember it might take a second for your voice to reach them).
Besides working on recalls, I've found it helped to take them on lead to exciting places, and make them maintain focus on me. So no pulling me around on their leads, always correcting them for rudeness like jumping around or charging people or other dogs. Basically teaching them to be civilized in company.

You might want to take your pup to some events or group training sessions as observers and let him get used to the hubbub. Make him behave, no lunging, barking, or carrying on.

In my experience at tests and trial situations there are always people around who can help gather up a bonkers young dog. While it's embarrassing to you, it's something most participants have seen before and probably suffered through themselves.

Good luck and have fun at your test.

P.S. Make sure you have his county license tag plus your contact info tag on his regular collar. Just in case. :wink:

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:04 pm

The recall isn't a huge problem at most na tests. It is a good idea to work on recall and work with a group. You and the dog and 3 to 5 additional people in the field and even.older dogs aren't sure of what's happening.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:15 pm

It's a NATURAL ability test. They are not expecting a trained dog.

This is where NAVHDA has really gone down hill. The NA test has gone from evaluating the natural ability of a dog to training for a prize 1.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:12 am

RyanDoolittle wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:15 pm
It's a NATURAL ability test. They are not expecting a trained dog.

This is where NAVHDA has really gone down hill. The NA test has gone from evaluating the natural ability of a dog to training for a prize 1.
It is a real issue but what is the answer? Simple pass / fail ?

I witnessed a 5 month old pup run a na. The head judges attitude was its 5 months old it will not pass. I thought the dog had a prize 2 type run. It did not pass. I believe that dog gets a pass if it was a pass/fail test. The "trainer" of that dog and I discussed the dogs scoring and he being a professional said hey I thought the dog did way better but the judges didn't. He ran the dog again as a 9 month old and got a 112. Obviously there was more training.

Amh22

Post by Amh22 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:44 pm

Thanks so much. This is all very helpful to hear. I too thought it was just an assessment of my dog as a hunting dog and a bit myself as a handler so we could work to improve. Today a navhda person told me it is very very important to do well in the na test and that I should drop out if my dog isn’t ready. I found this confusing. If he fails does he get kicked out of navhda? And in answer to the first reply, he does run off and do his own thing. We had a ‘mock’ test recently and I was told to remove the e collar. He ‘hunted’ every bird in the field when he got bored with the tracking exercise but came back when he’d found a bird.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:18 pm

Yes, if your dog doesn't obey the commands given, it gets a little embarrassing. Beyond that, yes, it can affect your dog's cooperation score, but doesn't change your dog. The dogs don't care what they're scored in the various components; it only affects us and our egos. Doing poorly doesn't affect their ability to participate in future events. There's a lot of dogs out there that didn't do well in NA that became VCs.

Some dogs mature and the light comes on at different times. If you feel your dog is ready to test, then do it. Don't get too wrapped up in the score/prize aspect. Use it as a tool to determine what areas you need to work on with your dog going forward to make them the best team member on your hunting team.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:02 am

I'm a stickler for the HERE command. I want them to come when I command anytime, anyplace, anywhere. Your dog is old enough to learn that. Teach it with distractions and not in the training field. He should be proofed before you turn him loose on birds.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:16 am

and I always tell people with new puppies to start there. If you call pup and he doesn't come, get up and get him , even if you are watching the Super Bowl. Never let pup get away with ignoring you , and when he /she is older , she/he will ALWAYS come.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:26 pm

EXACTLY Sharon! Pretty sharp for an old Gal! :D :D
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:46 pm

Hey . Who said I'm old? I'm just mature. LOL
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Amh22

Post by Amh22 » Mon May 16, 2022 9:14 pm

Wanted to thank all of you for your advice. Turns out my dog is smarter than I am . He did fine on the test and seemed happy to hunt up the birds then come when I whistled without hesitation. It was like he knew we were playing this really fun game and he even showed off his pretty point and retrieved to hand much more reliably than ever before.

Ttown

Post by Ttown » Tue May 17, 2022 7:41 pm

That's Awesome, Congratulations

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Tue May 17, 2022 9:44 pm

Nice work. You must be so proud. Now go and have fun with your pup this summer so you will be ready for birds in the fall. Congratulations.