House breaking a puppy

Boonez40

House breaking a puppy

Post by Boonez40 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:51 pm

Couple questions

1) what is the best method for house breaking a puppy ?
2) Is it normal for a puppy to pee, she pees about every hour? Thank God I have hard wood floors

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Garrison

Re: House breaking a puppy

Post by Garrison » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:07 pm

Look up crate training with the search function. Good looking pup!

Garrison

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:22 pm

If you don't keep her in a crate, you'll never housebreak her. She WILL damage hardwood floors. If you don't get it cleaned up immediately, the urine is acedic and stains the floor black. Make sure you get it out of the tongue and groove where they fit together.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:22 am

Boonez40 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:51 pm
Couple questions
2) Is it normal for a puppy to pee, she pees about every hour?
It is quite common for female pups to have urinary infections. Easily correctable with antibiotics. Call your vet.

nick613

Post by nick613 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:50 am

I've always done the bell on the door, where you hang a bell on the door and get them to hit it when they want to go out.

To teach them you'll have to ring the bell everytime you let them out, then they'll start ringing it to be let out. For young pups every hour or 2 isn't that uncommon.

Really try to set them up for success and big praise when they do their thing outside.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:46 pm

Just remember if "puppy" goes potty in the house, it is your fault, not puppy's. So smack yourself with a newspaper.

Even if puppy has been outside for a long time does not mean puppy will not go potty in the house ASAP.

If puppy has been playing in the house or napping take puppy outside ASAP because it will go potty ASAP.

Go outside with puppy and observe puppy going puppy, this will try your patience. Great time to give puppy LOTS of praise when it does the correct thing.

My grown dogs still know the "potty" command.

I totally agree with Crate Training!

Puppies are so much FUN!

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:25 pm

gypsy wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:46 pm
Just remember if "puppy" goes potty in the house, it is your fault, not puppy's. So smack yourself with a newspaper.

Even if puppy has been outside for a long time does not mean puppy will not go potty in the house ASAP.

If puppy has been playing in the house or napping take puppy outside ASAP because it will go potty ASAP.

Go outside with puppy and observe puppy going puppy, this will try your patience. Great time to give puppy LOTS of praise when it does the correct thing.

My grown dogs still know the "potty" command.

I totally agree with Crate Training!

Puppies are so much FUN!
Side note. If one does not wish to be outside of the truck or hotel with their hunting buddies, telling a full grown male dog to “go potty”. Now is the time to give the command the name you choose. :D

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-