Training Question

cowhoundFL

Training Question

Post by cowhoundFL » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:16 am

I have a dog that rings cattle perfectly and catches hogs, only problem is he barks headed to the stock and on the trail, therefore pushing them so he has to run harder before he gets there. I obviously want him barking once he gets to the stock/game, but is there a way to get him to stop in pursuit? He is 11 months old.

BlessedGirl

Re: Training Question

Post by BlessedGirl » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:26 pm

Are you training him on herding livestock or for hunting wild game? I don't think many people on this forum have experience training stock dogs. I could be wrong, but you may find more advice on https://www.workingdogforum.com
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

mask

Post by mask » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:54 pm

How is your dog bred? Does he bark only when he sees cattle or hogs or does he bark on a fairly cold trail as well? If he opens on a track when he can't see the animal you might be stuck with an open mouth dog, he is young and he might quiet down some as he ages. I grew up on a cattle ranch in big country and we needed dogs that would take a track and hunt cattle and rally them till we got there. Some were very good find dogs on hogs as well and a few would catch like a bulldog.

cowhoundFL

Post by cowhoundFL » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:15 pm

He's pretty open mouthed since he's a bluetick. May just be his quirk for me I reckon.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:53 pm

I hope you understand that if he is a Bluetick Hound, they are bred to give voice on track and you will probably never stop the dog from doing that. If he is just a ticked Shepard, you may break him. I'm having a hard time understanding why you would want a hound as a cattle dog?
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.