some training assistance

Elliott

some training assistance

Post by Elliott » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:50 am

I have a three year old ESS, I only got her in February. I don't know how much training she has had and looking for anyone in Hertfordshire UK to meet up with. I'm going round in circles, yes I know there are gun dog training groups but personally I'm not sure whether that's for me or Belle.
Is there anyone here from Hertfordshire that can give me advice? The season is getting closer.....

Thanks

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: some training assistance

Post by DonF » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:31 pm

Ya know, been a lot of years since I've had ESS. Loved them too! Quite a bit different that pointing dogs, don't have to get the dog to hold the bird! Do lot's of work keeping your dogs with you in gun range. Hup command. I would think this is important, similar to the whoa command with pointing dogs. Done well your dog start's getting to far out and you huphim and catch up. Hup, means nothing more than sit! You could probably do it best teaching your dog obedience, heel, here, sit ect. Substitute Hup for the word sit! Want to do some field work, get pretty good obedience first. Then get some pigeons and learn to tuck the head and put them down, they will stay there. Turn the pup loose and doesn't matter one bit if it catchs every bird, it will not catch many wild birds. You'll be building drive in the pup and it will flush hard as apposed to maybe learning the bilnk a bird before flushing. To blink the dog has learned it can't catch the bird so it hesitates before flushing. Could allow a bird to run out on you here and there. You want the pup to go boldly in and flush the bird. Work on retireving. You could do force but I didn't with ESS. They all seemed to be built in retriever's and easy to work with. Start it s a game, hall way in the house works well, pup can't get away with it's new found toy!
Think your gonna like your ESS.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!