VIDEO: Training the Young Brittany

Higgins

VIDEO: Training the Young Brittany

Post by Higgins » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:13 pm

Here I'm filming and managing a young 5 month old Brittany and her owner. This is the fifth session with them. The pup has associated the scent with birds and understands now that the gunshot is a good thing (it means she will have a bird in her mouth). She handles well with no commands, hand signals or whistles and manages moving birds (stalks) without pressuring them. In the video, she demonstrates steady to wing, shot and fall then does a nice natural retrieve. No e-collars are used.

What she needs now is experience. Next time I see them, I'll start handing her off to the owner. We'll start working in different locations and different types of cover. We'll work on coveys and running birds too. Soon, we will begin running her with some of my finished dogs so she can begin learning about "team stalking".

https://youtu.be/SdzySffRUPY

Garrison

Re: VIDEO: Training the Young Brittany

Post by Garrison » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:47 pm

“What she needs now is experience. Next time I see them, I'll start handing her off to the owner.”

Next time? You posted the video on September 26, of 2020.

There is ample opportunity here on the forum to discuss your “unique method of training” without dredging up old self-promotion videos. Plenty of new owners that continually need questions answered.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-