My Springer

reevesg

My Springer

Post by reevesg » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:04 pm

First a bit of background.

I got our springer about 6 months ago primarily as a family pet. I wanted a medium sized dog that was smart, loyal and eager to please. I had seen springers around and decided that this was the dog for us. In reading about springers I learnt more and more about their intended purpose as bird dogs and got really interested in this aspect of the dogs. Our dog came from a highly respected breeder of hunting dogs, she was allowed to come to our non hunting family because she didn't have the temperment/skills for trialing and did not appear to be an avid hunter.

So I immediately starting teaching her the basics (Hup, down, stay ,come etc) and she did really well with these. She is now whistle trained to Hup, turn and come and does it with some distractions. I can Hup her from 30 yards away no problem. Last week I started with a pheasant wing on a dummy and she loves it. She goes nuts when I bring it out and will fetch from a distance and out of thick cover.

One problem that we have had lately is that she is finding some dead animals ( mostly small mice ) in the area that I have been training her. Once she gets a hold of a mouse, all training is off. She is so excited to have found this rotting animal that she just runs around with it in her mouth. Any suggestions of what I can do to control this? Will the novelty wear off over time? It has happended about 3 times now.

When she starts to calm down about 5 to 10 mins after finding something I have given her a right verbal bollocking (yelling at). After that she comes back into check and we can start over again. Yesterday she was so disobeidient for that 10 mins that I had to just ignore her for a while once she had calmed down to show my displeasure. That seems to work quite well, she didn't like being ignored.

She is still a puppy (1 year in August)

Any suggestions on where to take the training from here? I guess she is ready for some birds, but I live 30 miles west of Chicago and I haven't had any luck finding any clubs or other hunting opportunities local.

Any comments/help would be much appreciated.

Gareth

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:09 pm

I have had a problem with my 5 month old pup finding dead animal parts too. Luckily I can yank the check cord and get him away. If he gets it in his mouth I pry his mouth open and force him to drop the thing.

It's a good idea to keep the check cord on your dog, even if you don't always have a hold on it. Just let the dog drag it around. It sure is a lot easier to grab ahold of if you need to reel the pup in for a little dicipline.

Lately I haven't had a problem with Justus finding things like that though. Maybe it's just that there's not many dead animal parts left in my training field, who knows. But he's learned over time that it will not be tolerated at all, and he will get corrected (forced to drop the animal).

Unless anyone else knows of a trick to stop this behavior, I think it's just going to be something that you have to head off and fight until the dog just finally understands that it's not good.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Decoy

Post by Decoy » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:17 pm

I use the command "leave it"

Started this when the dog was on a check cord but i quit using it for a while.
Now when i have the dogs out hunting or just out for a run and they have their e-collars on - if they come up on a pile of bear crap or a dead coyote etc - I will say "leave it" if the the dog does not leave it ithin 1/5 (.5) second i will nick the the dog with the e-collar.
They quickly learn the "leave it" command is a "leave it right now this instant"

Just my experience but if the dog does not leave it but rather begins to eat the pile of crap or something say - "leave it" followed almost simultanously with a nick of correction -- the dog will likely jump back a little - repeat as necessary. The most i have ever had to shock a dog with "leave it" was twice.
This command has been very useful both in the field and around the house.

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:44 pm

I also use "leave it" ... a good way to work with a puppy and "leave it" is to put a pile of treats on the ground and then walk past the treats while on leash. If the puppy goes for the treats say "leave it" and give a tug on the leash away from the pile of treats. As soon as they look at you and look away from the pile of treats give them a treat from your hand as positive reinforcement. When using "leave it" don't ever let them have the pile of treats, pick them up when you’re done. You will see a puppy can quickly learn they are rewarded for listening to your commands. As always timing is critical with positive reinforcement.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:16 am

I sure do use "leave it." It works great on empty candy wrappers and cigarette butts and the likes. But get a piece of dead animal out there and my pup goes hard headed as ever.

It's check-cord and lead away... that's the only thing that stops the problem. Praise after he's out of reach and divert attention elsewhere.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

reevesg

Post by reevesg » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:49 am

Leave it works for me too on everything else but the dead mouse is just too tempting for her.

Thanks for you responses.

Gareth