New Ep is a blast

3forme

New Ep is a blast

Post by 3forme » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:35 pm

I got my new EP at the ripe young age of 6 weeks on Wednesday and am having a blast with her, I spent the last week with a sock with a cut up hot dog in it teasing her with it and placing it where she could see but not touch so she was getting pretty crazy for it, I then tossed it for her a couple times and let her do what she pleased with it, once she left it somewhere I would pick it up and show her I was putting it in the place she could see and not touch, The next time I held her back after teasing her with it until she was wild for it and then released I would sometimes do it 1x and sometime 3Xno more than 3 though then today I returned from a training clinic with a quail that I shot over someone's dog and I couldn't wait to get home with it so Maddie could show me what she was all about, I parked the truck and left the dogs in there kennels and the drivers door opened and rushed in to see Maddie was awake and spry for some action, I showed her the quail and she was immediately aggressive about getting it so I tossed it across the kitchen floor and lo and behold she rushed right over pounced and brought it back to me :lol: It was a sight to see as the quail was half her size, I got a picture of it but it is on film that will need developing, this week we will take the hotdog sock and some hotdog bits and head to the H20 for her to get her feet wet. I was and still am concerned about the pro's and con's of taking a pup from her mom and littermates @ the tender age of 6 weeks but that was out of my control the breeder said pups were to be delivered on the 11th, so we are working on building confidence/boldness and what better way to build confidence/boldness than with retrieving :wink:

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:02 pm

Congrats 3forme! They are a lot of fun at that age. Dont worry about getting a pup at 6 weeks, I have got all mine at 6 weeks and they turn out fine! 8) :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

3forme

Post by 3forme » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:16 pm

topher40 wrote:Congrats 3forme! They are a lot of fun at that age. Dont worry about getting a pup at 6 weeks, I have got all mine at 6 weeks and they turn out fine! 8) :lol:
It was just hard for me to fathom the little thing being pulled away from it's mother they are so small and fragile looking at that age. We'll make the best of it :D

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:50 pm

What lines/breeder did you end up settling on :?:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

3forme

Post by 3forme » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:54 pm

My pup is out of cover dog stock , 3x Ch Sunkhaze fast break is sire and Bear River Poco is the dam

The dam was sired by Hunter's Blackthorn who was by Black Iron ( Elhew Strike x Elhew Black Magic) and was out of Loleta who won the Grand National Grouse Ch. She's by Hunting Hills Riff out of Grouse Patch Lady.

Poco's dam was by Bear Hill Badface (Bear Hill Arthur

x Moonraker Crestline) out of Bad River Jessie (Bear Hill Bob x Beaver Creek Gold)

Hunter's Blackthorn 10-3-6

Black Iron 4-6-25

Ch Loleta 14-6-28

Ch Elhew Strke 20-158-956

Elhew Black Magic 10-12-46

Hunting Hills Riff 19-5-35

Grouse Patch Lady 0-4-22

Bad Bear Girt 0-1-1

Bear Hill Badface 14-3-10

Bad River Jessie 0-1-4

Bear Hill Arthur 6-2-17

Moonraker Crestline 0-25-225

Ch Bear Hill Bob 17-11-37

Beaver Creek Gold 0-1-6

These stats are current as of Oct 9/04.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:28 pm

I hope you got it a puppy shot at 8wks. The first shot isn't all that great as the pup is still pulling off the mother. I would suggest a puppy shot at 8, 12 and 16wks. I'm like you. I won't take a pup that young and wouldn't let them go befor 8wks. Wanted that second shot in them.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

volraider

Re: New Ep is a blast

Post by volraider » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:13 pm

I'm considering a pup from a repeat breeding. How's your dog doing?

Brian

x Bred Pointer

Re: New Ep is a blast

Post by x Bred Pointer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:56 am

I don't know about his pup but I have seen 3 of the pups as puppy/derbies and they all looked good.

I've seen both Poco and Clifford run many times in trials and they are the real deal in the grouse woods.

I would like to get a puppy from this litter but the timing is off for this year.

Disclaimer- I know the breeder personally and purchased a pup from a previous litter he had from a different dam.