Some Cool Vids

TheShadow

Some Cool Vids

Post by TheShadow » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:01 pm

Check out this youtube playlist i found. It has a lot of good training vids to some cool bird dog vids, to just general dog vids, etc... has force fetch, ecollar conditioning, etc... stuff people might want to check out.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... CF472D3CEA

by the way, ever heard of the throw chain? watch that video, i've never heard of this and people thought an ecollar is cruel!?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:50 am

Shadow; I've used the throw chain since the 70's. Some trainers use a key chain, some a throw chain. They are not cruel, they do not hurt the dog; they surprise the dog. If you're not going to use the collar on a dog, you have to remotely reinforce your commands in some manor. Throw chain, marble, bb, tennis shoes, take your pick but remotely enforce you must.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

TheShadow

Post by TheShadow » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:11 am

i've never seen that before i guess i learn something new everyday! I was thinking why not just use the ecollar rather than a throw chain.

I think to the general public these type of things just LOOK cruel and inhumane.

A co-worker here who watched that segment just kept shaking her head and saying there is no place for these type of tools (ecollar included), its just negative and its no good for anyone. She won't even listen to reason in regards to the ecollar :evil:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:49 am

I believe that Shadow. Those are the type of people that have never owned a dog or at least never owned a trained dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:20 am

I use a throw key ring, when I OB train dogs.

go to Home Depot ask them for their screw ups, keys that dont work, buy a strong key ring and put 5-6 keys on it.

Pop a dog in the butt a couple times with it and after that all you have to do is jingle the keys and they will quickly start to obey. Dogs have no concept of distance and believe you can hit them if they can hear them jingle.

Most people have a set of keys on them all the time. Works like a charm and is convienent. for most people.

Not too many people I know carry a piece of chain in their pocket.

Unlike that video I want the dog to know I am the thrower.

Just one more variation on training to considerFWIW.

As for it being cruel :roll: ask your co worker how cruel she thinks it is to watch the dog ignore you and get hit by a car, that hurts alot more than apiece of chain or a key ring.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

TheShadow

Post by TheShadow » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:09 am

you've heard this millions of times, if the tools are used properly so be it. ecollar to prong collar to throw chain to choke chain to whatever. it just seems like most "pet dog" owners get so bent when they hear about these tools. they just automatically think its abuse, cruel, wrong, hurting, blah blah blah. sure its negative reinforcement but there is a place for it in dog training. i'm tired of hearing the "clicker" people bash me about the ecollar. going on a crusade about how it is wrong and not natural. these people have an answer for every rational explanation to the ecollar. :roll: when they do not accept "you do it your way I'll do it my way" it really angers me. They push and push.

i guess i would not use the throw chain since I am now using an ecollar but again if you use this method correctly in a fair manner then I don't see a prob with it.

i'll always remember this comment from yet another co-worker. "I'll never shock my dog no way!" wait, you just installed an Invisible Fence system in your yard. "Well that's a different kind of shock, they just have to get zapped once and never again..." :oops:

TheShadow

Post by TheShadow » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:11 am

gonehuntin' wrote:I believe that Shadow. Those are the type of people that have never owned a dog or at least never owned a trained dog.
V E R Y T R U E !!!

okiebirdhunter

Post by okiebirdhunter » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:22 pm

I would like to see how well a clicker and key chain works at 300 yards+...

John Bellah

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:21 pm

bobman wrote:Pop a dog in the butt a couple times with it and after that all you have to do is jingle the keys and they will quickly start to obey. Dogs have no concept of distance and believe you can hit them if they can hear them jingle.
First consider your aim when throwing objects. I have been throwing things (usually a small stone) at my dogs cause they failed to listen and I have only hit my mark twice :? But it worked :wink: :lol: :lol:

I try and stick to the e-collar for most corrections

dogirl

Post by dogirl » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:41 pm

TheShadow wrote: i'm tired of hearing the "clicker" people bash me about the ecollar.
Careful... I could be considered one of those "clicker" people. I have done some cool stuff with the clicker. But I also have used choke chains, prong collars, e-collars, etc. I am just not one to discount all the training tools available to me and throw the baby out with the bathwater.

dogirl

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:56 pm

Casper wrote:
bobman wrote:Pop a dog in the butt a couple times with it and after that all you have to do is jingle the keys and they will quickly start to obey. Dogs have no concept of distance and believe you can hit them if they can hear them jingle.
First consider your aim when throwing objects. I have been throwing things (usually a small stone) at my dogs cause they failed to listen and I have only hit my mark twice :? But it worked :wink: :lol: :lol:

I try and stick to the e-collar for most corrections
Once you pop them in the butt and they make the connection you dont have to ever hit them again.

I was in high school in the 60's when parents didnt "negotiate" with kids, me and my brothers never doubted my dad would kick our butts, so he never had to :lol:

Same principle works with dogs they just learn quicker than high school kids :lol:
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

TheShadow

Post by TheShadow » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:07 am

don't get me wrong, clickers work for certain breeds very well. but the problem i have is when people PUSH their clicker training on me. there are a few people i work with who despise the ecollar and will not stop trying to change my mind to stop using it. this is why i have a problem with clicker people. one time out in public (i put the collar on her) some nosy lady with her German Shep came up to me and just said "I trained my powerful german shep with the clicker and food i ask that you do this for your baby" i was just in disbelief that someone would just butt into my life and say this. I could understand if they "suggested" it but just coming up to me to say this? Then she said "shock collars do not do anything to a dog but confuse and hurt them, i'm asking you as a parent to please use clicker training" i ignored the lady and she followed me a few more steps and then i got into my truck and left. I don't even want to waste my breath... :roll:

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:13 am

:lol: :lol:

with 3 sisters, a mother, 4 daughters and a wife I've been surrounded by women all my life that are certain I dont know what I'm doing and dont hesitate to tell me

gotta love them!