Too old for e-collar?

NH_GSP

Too old for e-collar?

Post by NH_GSP » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:53 am

My dog is 1-1/2 and never trained before me getting her. Is she too old for e-collar training? I want to use a bepper collar but, I was thinking on getting a combo one. Any ideas.
H

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:27 am

Not too old. Thats really a good age for starting with it. Just go thru the proper channels of introduction to the E. They will usually send a video with it.
brenda

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:12 am

I second that. Just use it right. The Dogtra 2000 T&B is a nice collar!

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:15 am

I seriously didn't think I was going to use the E collar when I started my training. But, later in our training I saw some serious need for some corrections. Before this I only used the E collar for snake breaking. I started my dog late at 2 yrs and we have been training off and on for 6 months now. She has had 16 sessions in the field and by her 15th session this past weekend we put an E collar on her. She responded well and we got some good corrections in. She was steady to wing once before this and by the third bird with the collar she was steady to shot for her first time ever.

I also took someones advice on this forum I forget who deserves the credit, but I duct taped a 'D' cell battery to one of her collars and we ran with that over the last couple of weeks before fitting her with a collar.

Lastly, I put a cow bell on her for the first time ever the same time I put an E collar on her. My thinking here was it couldn't hurt any and now she will associate the E collar with the bell. In hunt tests you can't run them with an E collar on, but they don't say anything about using a locator bell on them. If she is having a rough time out there I can put the bell on her and maybe get a little control back if necessary.

Decoy

Post by Decoy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:23 pm

grant wrote: The Dogtra 2000 T&B is a nice collar!
I agree - we have the 2 dog version of that collar and it is nice. I like being able to change modes from the transmitter as well as the locate feture. It is a very durable collar too - and i am pretty rough on equipment.

NH_GSP

Post by NH_GSP » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:38 pm

So we agree that is is not too young. Were can I find info on the proper training with a e collar? i.e. books, video, web stuff etc.

I can't wait until the snow starts going! I haven't hunted over a good dog in almost 10yrs.

Hank