pointer doesn't notice birds in releaser until released

jstead

Post by jstead » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:18 pm

I lead him right up to the releaser into the wind and he ignores them and pulls me past, until they fly. On the upside he's almost steady to flush.

I do rub the pigeons on the ground before putting them in the releaser and it's only 10 - 15 minutes before I come back with Gus (the pointer). He seems to have a good nose otherwise -- he found my brother's dogs treats upstairs under the sofa cushions within 2 minutes of going into his house.

Also he's pretty fired up about birds. He'll sight point pigeons, robbins, starlings, sea gulls and then try to break and chase. He caught one bat while trying to teach him to turn at night. He's 13 months old.

Should I just try to find a lot of wild birds? (I'm in Philadelphia PA)

Any suggestions would help.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:54 pm

Sounds like he might be blinkng the launcher. I'd plant a bird without launcher and walk him into it and see if the results are different.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:12 pm

How do you store the launcher? Is it near somethin that may put scent on it that will cover the bird scent? I store mine in one of those extra large ziploc bags with the bird bag and my planting gloves in there. Not sure if it really helps, but I like to stack the deck in my favor.

I was also told to mist the birds very lightly, will make them smell more (like a wet dog).
Jeremy

"Going to the woods is going home." -John Muir

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:24 pm

Has he been hit or scared be the launcher? That would be an explanation for the blinking behavior.

Of course, I've heard that some dogs just get where they don't like them at all despite no bad experiences.

Best, Greg J.

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:36 pm

Sounds like he is trying to see the bird as it sounds like he's primarily pointed creatures he could see. Did you do a lot of the wing on a string game?

LIGHTLY dizzy pigeons, if they fly way early then fine. But, you need to have birds that will simulate wild flushes. When he pressures them, they bust. If you are determined to put them in launchers, then the minute you see him get scent, pop the bird. Few sessions of this, he'll figure out HE is causing the flush.

Yes, better yet, WILD birds. A few wild coveys teaches more than a thousand wind up birds or pigeons.

Further, don't whoa the dog, say nothing. Whoaing dogs into a point causes dogs to stand birds, not point them.
Last edited by TrueBlu Shorthairs on Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okiebirdhunter

Post by okiebirdhunter » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:42 pm

Try not leading him up to the launcher. Let him use his nose. If he gets within 10 or 15 feet from the launcher upwind, downwind, it doesn't matter, launch the bird. Just keep doing it over and over and over(Not more than 2 or 3 times in a day but day after day). Turn him loose if you can. Let him find the bird. Don't worry if he points or not, if the breeding is in him that will come.

Sometimes we think we are helping the dog and we are only holding him back. Watch the dog and when he hits scent he'll follow it. The scent may not be drifting like you think it is.

John Bellah

Vman

Post by Vman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:50 pm

You need to determine if the dog is BLINKING the launcher or not. You can check for that as mentioned.
If he is not, then proceed.
Always use a crosswind. This is so you know exactly when he smelled the scent. As soon as he turns toward the launcher you know he smelled it. Then do what you gotta do.
One thing I do with launchers, is pull some feathers from the bird and let them drift downwind only a couple of feet. This serves two purposes, one is to give the dog somthing to work with and secondly, it keeps the dog at a safe distance if you need to pop the launcher. If you put a bird in a launcher and stick it in heavy cover so the dog can`t see it, there will not be much scent available for the dog. Obviously there are times when this is untrue, but you are not trying to trick the dog, you are setting him up to succeed.
My question would be,, what is he doing that you think he needs birds popped?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:31 pm

Before you put the pigeon in the launcher, MIST it with water; will increase the scent. Then work the dog in CROSSWIND so he suddenly smells the scent.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:12 pm

+2 on John.

Sounds like a dog that never learned to use his nose so he hunts with his eyes.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

jstead

Post by jstead » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:01 am

Thanks for all of the responses. I never did the bird on a wing thing with this dog -- he's too quick and jumps too far. I'm sending him down south with George and Mike Tracy for the winter (had my knee scoped) Wish I could go with him.