Biting pup

danB

Biting pup

Post by danB » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:47 pm

Hello, i have a 9 week old springer that seems to want to play bite everyone that comes in contact with her, whenever she is awake. Just wondering if this is quite normal at this age (i suspect it is), and at what stage i should start to diserplin her not to. I tell her No, which she is starting to understand for certin things, but not for her biting. Also what would be the best method for teaching her not to, as i want to avoid smacking her.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:48 pm

I am sure Knine and others will chime in here (I hope) but I think you start correcting that problem the minute you bring your pup home. Here is what I do: pick the pup up and make sure you have a firm grasp. When the pup bites I smack it in the muzzle (not too hard) and hold the mouth shut for 5 or 10 seconds and say NO. Pup may struggle in your arms but hold firmly until the pup sighs. Release the pup after that. You need to be consistent on correcting this problem and make sure the family members approach it the same way.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:58 pm

http://www.gundogforum.com/index.php?page=gdfarticle19

in this article I explain a method to deter biting..SOme more tenacious pups will require a bit more and even holding a bit longer till they really are giving in to the change of the game
they may whine in discontent but not in pain look at the body language the pup is giving more often then not the tail will be out or up not tucked.

I ahve a monster right now who is a great tester on the biting issue. and I ahve applied this technique everytime holding each time a bit longer will work for a coule days and she will test her boundaries again but....her biting and nipping game has drastically reduced to most time when you can see it in her she will come and turn and quickly grab a toy

it is a phase they g through but everytime they nip or bite or mouth you it does need to end up in a manner which the pup is not going to like

when i hold roll or the lip this pup thinks that is a fun game so the finger s in the mouth not only start for a technique has been way more effective. But it also start a pattern for her to be still when my hands are on her which in the future if you think about it any time you are close to the dog the dog should be still..from being able to trimnail check ears on point feeding brushing tending any cuts or what ever the dog should be still when you ahve you hands on the especially and this is the start to that ...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

danB

Post by danB » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:58 am

thanks for the replys, thats helped alot.

Casper

Re: Biting pup

Post by Casper » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:32 am

danB wrote:Also what would be the best method for teaching her not to, as i want to avoid smacking her.
There is no need to harm pup for their play biting. Simply pick pup up by the nap of the neck (much like a cat carries its kittens) when he/she starts biting. Hold pup suspended off the ground till the squealing and fighting stops. Give it a second or two than calmly place pup back on the ground to return its play. Repeat if necessary. Show no emotion when you do this pup has to realize that you dont like what he/she is doing and you will take away their ground. Pups hate loosing their footing. Say nothing. There needs not be a single word said.

This can also be used for other actions pup does that you dont like until pup becomes to big to be picked up this way.

FWIW