AFTCA amateur walking shooting dog stake

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
jt807

AFTCA amateur walking shooting dog stake

Post by jt807 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:56 am

I am thinking of running my dog in one of these trials, but I really have no idea what they are about.

How does the trial work?

How is scoring done?

Is it pass/fail, or places?

What does it take to win.

I don't know that much about any other trials, either, so "its like an AKC hunt test" wouldn't mean anything to me.

Are there age limits on the dogs? I assume I can qualify as an amateur, the only dog I've ever trained is mine.

I have read the rules, I am looking more for a narrative.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Jason

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: AFTCA amateur walking shooting dog stake

Post by Neil » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:40 pm

Jason,

Let's say you have read about football, read the rules, would you try to go play in the first game you were to see? Do you think even experts could prepare you? Do you think it fair to your bracemate?

You need to go to some events, watch, ask questions, learn.

Or better, find someone to mentor you,

Neil

jt807

Post by jt807 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:01 pm

That makes sense.

I also think it makes sense to know as much as you can ahead of time, to see if it is right for you. Plus, then when you get involved you will be able to ask better questions, and have a big picture understanding first.

I was hoping to find someone in this forum with specific knowledge on these trials.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:42 am

The closest I have got was a few AF/AKC events (3) I have done, I did not know much and only read the basic rules. i.e. Steady to wing shot and send for the open gun dog stake. My idea on any event is train your dog to the highest level with confidence and as much bird experience as possible, (in fact before I go to the grouse woods and work a few birds). (Did not help just a fourth and third,) Go run the brace and hunt like you normally would not too much direction from you, listen to the judge. In the events I was in they picked you up for failure to do something. One time we were picked up because my dog sat down. (When I saw her I could only see her head so I thought she was on point. So excitedly I called point. Well before I had a chance to assertain weather the bird was there and not knowing she was sitting the judge said are you sure? He was giving me a hint. (he was on horse back and could see she sitting). I got there and saw that he said pick her up. (She was fat and hot, the bird had left. She stopped to the flush. She does not sit no matter what if the bird is there and really the first time I had ever seen her sit in the field period.)

Any way at end of each run I asked the judge, what he saw and how we could improve and they were very happy to help. On the scenario I just mentioned, he told me to be sure before I call out anything and if I see that I thought she had no bird to move her on. These trials were in forest with two or three little 1 acre fields, blank guns only no retrieving stakes.
Last edited by Ruffshooter on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:33 am

FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:03 pm

Jason,

I went to my first trial in 1963 and I cannot learn a different field trial format from reading the rules, there are just too many interpretations and nuances. I am all for education, and you can learn at the AFTCA site, basically there is little difference in a walking and horseback stake, other than the mode of transport for the handler.

The AFTCA Guidelines are a Q & A format that would be instructional for anyone, I reread them often.

But you are not going to learn any sport from behind a computer.

Find a mentor,

Neil