NSTRA QUESTION! or Two!

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
Onk

NSTRA QUESTION! or Two!

Post by Onk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:47 pm

From reading on the net differant places and if I'm getting it right....there is not differant age classes for these events? They run 32 (max) dogs in 2 dog braces? So your dog should be close to finished before entering these? Should you go thru all your hunt test with dog before trying NSTRA?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: NSTRA QUESTION! or Two!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:55 pm

You can.
Best thing is to go Check out some trials and Hunt Test that way you know what is expected. and have a better idea of what you and your dog are ready for
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:04 pm

He's ready for icecream...you know that! :lol:

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:56 pm

I waited on NSTRA until I got my dog through NAVHDA testing. I've only run in two NSTRA trials, and they were a blast, but there were not many dogs at either of them that were steady through w/s/f. You really can't reinforce steadiness during the trials, so you might make your test training more difficult if your dog starts breaking during the trials. There are no age divisions in NSTRA, and there are usually between 12 and 16 two-dog braces run on each field. Most trials are "double/doubles" where you compete twice each day, and get four trials in during the weekend.

Hope that helps. I've had great experiences in both NAVHDA and NSTRA, and bet you'll enjoy both of them. Good luck!

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:15 pm

With Nstra and NAVHDA are there titles that go to the dog like there is in Field Trialing or are titles exclusive to field trial dogs and hunt testing?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:27 pm

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:50 pm

There are title's awarded by NAVHDA, not sure if AKC recognizes them in their registry though I know CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) does not.
Natural Ability (Prize NAI,II, or III)
Utility Prep Test (Prize UPTI,II, or III)
Utility Test (Prize UTI,II, or III)
Versatile Champion (VC)

http://www.navhda.org/tests.html
CanCH Stonepoint's the Missing Link FD, RDX, V (Lincoln)
NorthLink Mattie's Bayou Shade NAVHDA NAII (108) (Shade)
NorthLink's Shaken Not Stirred NAVHDA NAI (112) (Olive)
http://www.northlinkweimaraners.com

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:01 pm

NSTRA awards championships, and multiple championships can be awarded to a dog. To become a champion the dog needs 18 points, 9 of which need to be from first place wins. Full rules here http://nstra.org/files/RuleBook.pdf. In a full (24 - 32 dog) trial, 3 placements are given out 3pts for 1st, 2pts for 2nd, and 1pt for 3rd. Currently, NSTRA championship titles are not printed on the AKC or FSDB pedigrees.

Speaking to when to enter NSTRA, I would say watch a few trials first to learn the format. Even then, your first few trials will be learning experiences. It took me a while to get a hang of it, learn strategy (although she's a major component, it's not all up to the dog), and be confident that I knew what I was doing out there. The dog will need to learn also, as there are boundaries to stay within, time constraints and all sorts of other conditions and unpredictable situations.

Regarding finishing your dog before entering NSTRA, most people don't. The reason for this is that a NSTRA dog does not need to be steady to wing or shot to score well, and most prefer to have their dog break on wing or shot in order to speed up the retrieve time.

Birddawg

Post by Birddawg » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:35 pm

nhachman wrote:NSTRA awards championships, and multiple championships can be awarded to a dog. To become a champion the dog needs 18 points, 9 of which need to be from first place wins. Full rules here http://nstra.org/files/RuleBook.pdf. In a full (24 - 32 dog) trial, 3 placements are given out 3pts for 1st, 2pts for 2nd, and 1pt for 3rd. Currently, NSTRA championship titles are not printed on the AKC or FSDB pedigrees.

Speaking to when to enter NSTRA, I would say watch a few trials first to learn the format. Even then, your first few trials will be learning experiences. It took me a while to get a hang of it, learn strategy (although she's a major component, it's not all up to the dog), and be confident that I knew what I was doing out there. The dog will need to learn also, as there are boundaries to stay within, time constraints and all sorts of other conditions and unpredictable situations.

Regarding finishing your dog before entering NSTRA, most people don't. The reason for this is that a NSTRA dog does not need to be steady to wing or shot to score well, and most prefer to have their dog break on wing or shot in order to speed up the retrieve time.
Isnt steady to flush same as steady to wing? If your dog isnt steady to flush, ie. takes out the bird before flush, 1 time warning, 2nd time dq.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:44 am

Birddawg wrote:
nhachman wrote:NSTRA awards championships, and multiple championships can be awarded to a dog. To become a champion the dog needs 18 points, 9 of which need to be from first place wins. Full rules here http://nstra.org/files/RuleBook.pdf. In a full (24 - 32 dog) trial, 3 placements are given out 3pts for 1st, 2pts for 2nd, and 1pt for 3rd. Currently, NSTRA championship titles are not printed on the AKC or FSDB pedigrees.

Isnt steady to flush same as steady to wing? If your dog isnt steady to flush, ie. takes out the bird before flush, 1 time warning, 2nd time dq.
Yes, when I say steady to flush I mean the dog holds point and does not move in on the bird before the handler flushes it. A dog that is steady to wing will hold after the bird flushes, but can break to retrieve on the shot.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:52 am

Just an added ..Though the dog only has to be steady to flush...steady to wing will garner an extra point or two...Because the dog will not be getting sloppy before the bird is flushed...The better trained on some things can gain a point here and there

Obedience is scored so a dog that listens will score higher then a dog that is blowing you off ...so every time you yell a command and the dog doesn't do it you will dink yourself a little here and there

Ground Cover is scored...this is the dog working the ground in front of you like a hunting dog..it is about what covered intelligently not just what is covered with the paws as in a dog just racing around not hunting

Onk

Post by Onk » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:56 am

Dex won't move from his point until that bird is in the air, he is rock solid for as long as it takes to get to him. This we found out yesterday. Lost track of him and it took between 5 and 10 minutes to find him in the crops....when we did he was on point and steady as could be. He prob. knows more about working a field than his master....time to studie up on these events and start the learning!

steamer

Post by steamer » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:44 pm

onk, check around and see if any local conservation clubs near you run club trials . we run them here at amo bdc there is a puppy class and an all ages class both using nstra rules. its more laid back and you can run your dog with an e collar and or check cord drag on. its kind of like a farm team for nstra . its a good way to get your dog used to the judges on quads driving near them and to running in the field with another dog.

Birddawg

Post by Birddawg » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:27 pm

onk, good sugesstion by streamer. Big difference between holding on wild birds in the field and running in a NSTRA trial. The pen raised birds wont always fly when flushed........they like to walk around. Also, having the handler of your brace mate walking behind when your dog goes on point, and doing a hard call to get his dog in the area to get backing points. By hard call i mean recalling his dog to the general area similar to a quarterback doing a hard count to draw the defense offsides. I know some of you know exactly what I mean. Maybe you can explain better. Anyway, can be a lot of comotion out there. My female was steady too, on wild birds. But a quail walking around between her legs does a lot to a dog. Did some more work, and her last trial, had a 90, 89, 88, and an 86 scores on her finds.