AF puppy stakes

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
mudhunter

AF puppy stakes

Post by mudhunter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:58 pm

I entered my first Trial, I have wanted to do it but always find an excuse not to. I found a walking trial that's not for a month so I called and entered, seemed like a good way to get my feet wet. What should I expect? I know their will be no birds planted but what range is typical for walking puppies? I am assuming no scout is needed as well? I know these are stupid questions, but any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

myerstenn

Re: AF puppy stakes

Post by myerstenn » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:23 pm

Good for you ,we need more folks in this game. Your dog needs to stay to the front and run as big as possible, just because its a foot stake dosent mean they will be looking for a short dog.The fancier your dog is on the ground!! the better it is for you. Introduce yourself to the the field trial chairman tell him your new to the game, see if they can find you a horse to ride for some additional braces. Dont be bashfull, ask questions and introduce yourself to others. Your going into an established crowd where they all know each other they may or may not be overly friendly at first. Dont let that deture you, this is a great game but dont expect much your first trial. My experience is ,there is no better bunch of folks than fieldtrialers. Dont judge all trials by your first experiece . This is a game and like all games you need to learn the rules and understand what is required to win before you can really enjoy the sport. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jakemaster

Post by jakemaster » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:20 am

Your going into an established crowd where they all know each other they may or may not be overly friendly at first. Dont let that deture you, this is a great game but dont expect much your first trial.
Went to my first trial in SC a few weeks ago and found this to be true. The crowd all new each other but were so helpful in everyway. Even with the rain I had a great time and learned a ton. :D

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:46 pm

jakemaster wrote:
Your going into an established crowd where they all know each other they may or may not be overly friendly at first. Dont let that deture you, this is a great game but dont expect much your first trial.
Went to my first trial in SC a few weeks ago and found this to be true. The crowd all new each other but were so helpful in everyway. Even with the rain I had a great time and learned a ton. :D

Hey Scott, did you run your short tail with those long-tailers? 8) It's fun to be the only short tail handler in those trials! I'm missing having Scarlett to run the the NBHA trials!!!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

jakemaster

Post by jakemaster » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:04 pm

Yes I did! Even with the short tail they were nice to me. She ran the first brace and did not find a bird but ran nice. She has been running with Ross's EP for a while so she knows how to stay in front of them. She blew out the gate and never looked back. She might have been more worried about keeping that EP behind her than finding birds. I was just trying to keep her in shape before she goes out to Kansas to start running with Keith and Robbie at BDK. I hope she can keep up with those big dogs and make us proud. :D

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:23 pm

jakemaster wrote:Yes I did! Even with the short tail they were nice to me. She ran the first brace and did not find a bird but ran nice. She has been running with Ross's EP for a while so she knows how to stay in front of them. She blew out the gate and never looked back. She might have been more worried about keeping that EP behind her than finding birds. I was just trying to keep her in shape before she goes out to Kansas to start running with Keith and Robbie at BDK. I hope she can keep up with those big dogs and make us proud. :D
Yes they are a nice group of folks.

I do the triple whammy when I run my dogs at those trials.

1. I'm usually the only short tail handler
2. I'm the only Weimaraner handler
3. I'm usually the only woman handler

I love it!!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

woodedareas

Post by woodedareas » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:40 pm

I assume that there are some field trials for puppies in Illinois.Can you tell me where they are listed. I have a 6 month English Setter that I would like to introduce to a field trial if not too much is expected. I am not much interested in winning anything--- just looking for the experience with my dog.I would like to watch one of these events first and then participate.
I am new to this and hope this isn't a ignorant question.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:23 pm

I'm not sure where you are in illinois, but there will be some in the spring months near orchardville Illinois. If that's anywhere close let me know and I'll get you the guys number.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:19 pm

DesPlaines Wildlife Area will have them all spring.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:09 pm

Check here for trials in your area -
http://www.americanfield.com/Pages/12_31_FIX.pdf

Also, you can go to www.akc.org The site is more complicated, but go to 'event search' use the drop down to find 'field trials', then the time frame you're looking at, then the state you need. You'll find beagles and spaniels in the listings, so look carefully. Keep in mind that this listing will change often, so check back every now and then.

'Field trial' is a generic name for a bunch of pointing dog activities, so you might want to check other formats like NSTRA, US Complete, NBHA, etc as well.