Why Do You Test Or Trial?

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Why Do You Test Or Trial?

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:35 am

Why is it that you participate in a test or trial format?

I have two reasons:

1. It's fun.
2. It's our family activity.

Best regards,

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:54 am

1. For the breeder and the breed.
2. It gives you something to strive for in your training.
3. Getting out with people that share the same interest.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:29 am

Some breeds require passing scores to be eligable to breed.

Training for and competing keeps the dog sharp for hunting season.

Comradery (sp)....getting a bunch of dog folks together begets one of two things.....a Real Great time, or a heck of a fist fight...BOth equally as much fun! 8) :lol:

It streches the time you can get out and work with your dogs.

I would have to say....the top is.....getting new folks involved in the bird dog world and helping them along.

P & G

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:15 pm

Enjoyment of watching my dogs doing what they were bred to do

To show and prove potential owners of pups that they are doing what they were bred to do..

to have fun
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:14 pm

More time in the field with my dog (she just doesn't like fishing :( )

Chat with people of similar interests, even when we don't agree :P

Skills she shows while hunting that I know came from trialing experience.

I'm really not that competitive :o
Colin

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:27 pm

The enjoyment of working and showing off your dog.
The enjoyment of meeting people with like interest to mine.
The fun of competeing.
The friends you can make and get to see again.
Its good for my dog and me.
Gives me an excuse for being on the forum.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

sdgord

test and trial

Post by sdgord » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:55 pm

We have the dogs trial so they can go to winter camp in Texas and I can stay home in SD in four feet of snow and -30 zero. We do the hunt test thing cuz I dont have to own a horse. Personally I prefer the hunt test format as I can take the dogs myself. You get to meet people with varying degress of the same psychosis as I have. (birddogitis). I have this uncontrollable need to spend large amounts of money on trainers boarding fees and entry fees for funny colored ribbons.SDGORD

TAK

Post by TAK » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:35 pm

I like to compete, dogs horses, guns, softball.... you name it I will be up for the challenge! Heck I have been known to take a bet over how many times one can get a rock to skip along the water! (OK, Maybe I have a gambling problem!)
Over the years I have meet some great people, and also some sticks in the mud. Take the good and the bad.
Thing is, I love Birddogs and watching them. I really don't care if the tail is long or short or if it has wire or it has short or long hair. If it hunts with style and makes me about to pee my pants, I LIKE IT! :D

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:15 am

1. Good practice for myself and my dog.
2. Gives a training goal.
3. Like to see other dogs and breeds working as well. Can't do this on such a large scale without tests/trials.
4. Fun to see my pup do his thing.
5. Keeps me in shape, somewhat... well.. better than not doing it.

:lol:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

gunner

Post by gunner » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:56 am

I've enjoyed raising, training and competing with my own dogs and horses for over a half century.
The traditional field trials have allowed me to travel, train, and observe some of the finest bird dogs in the world compete on some of the most magnificent upland game properties. Many of the properties the average guy would never have access without the field trial event.
The FT fraternity shares the love of training, conditioning and campaigning class pointing dogs, upland gamebirds and the stewardship or management of these coverts, the competition and fine sportsmanship, the beauty of nature's landscape throughout the seasons, the other birds and wildlife observed during a trials running, the extension of the time with our animals beyond the short hunting season, and of course the tradition.

As most traditional field trialers, I rarely actually bird hunt from my horses. Most training of even the biggest going all-age dogs is completed from on foot. I think many folk that have never attended traditional trials don't understand that the horse is used primarily as a raised convenience. Most folk, even in the best health and condition would not be able to follow brace after brace, early morning to late evening, on all footings, up and down ravines and hillsides, crossing deep water crossings, through briars, brambles, thickets, woods and horse high prairie grasses. These are the courses similar to the hunting courses you travel when in search of native upland game. They are designed to show a dogs mettle. That animal's stamina, endurance, intelligence, nose, way of moving; a breeders test to show off in front of their peers, the natural attributes of what most bird hunters should demand in their hunting dogs.

A toast to the dogs and traditions of the lean breed club!

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:42 am

I originally got into NAVHDA just to learn how to train. It turned out I had a good dog. Got into AKC trialing because it appeared to me the dog could win, and deserved the chance. I stayed in it for a long time, as long as that dog could do it and for years after with several dogs, because of the friendships, and because I justed loved watching great stylish dogs work, during hunting season or not. I liked riding Walkers also. Very nice personalities to match the dogs.

I fell out of it for a number of years because the kids were growing up, and I needed to be there.

The day came when they were mostly grown up, and I did a breeding of a couple of good trial dogs, and two pups in particular kind of stood out and I could afford to give at least one a chance, so ......

We will just have to see where the story leads from here.