National Field Trial Championship...

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
MTO4Life

National Field Trial Championship...

Post by MTO4Life » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:07 am

Ok you long-tail triallers.... I have questions.

I've been watching the brace-by-brace account of the National Field Trial Championship at the Ames Plantation. I see Shell Creek Coin is the only dog thus far to complete the 3 hours. Other dogs may have finds, but it shows being picked up. This might be a stupid question, but would that be because of a fault and the judge ordered them up, or are they picked up by the handler for their own reasons? If they don't finish the 3 hours, would that not put them out of contention?

Also, how big do these dogs run? I run a britt who is most likely a gun dog (derby yet), maybe a far reaching gun dog at best. I've seen her cast 250 yards, maybe 300 at the most while at her last trial. That's a big MAYBE! What kind of dirt are these dogs covering at Ames?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, but you long-tailers are a foreign breed to me!!!! :wink: I'm curious as it must be something to watch a 3 hour trial. Very cool...

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: National Field Trial Championship...

Post by shags » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:46 pm

Mostly the dogs are picked up because they're not makin' any money. the handlers do it out of respect for the game, so as not to waste the dog and horses, and so a the dog doesn't leave a poor impression, etc.
There is room on those grounds for a dog to stretch some, but my impression was more shooting dog range, sometimes closer.