AKC Approves Use of Garmin Pending Board Approval

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
Boxa

AKC Approves Use of Garmin Pending Board Approval

Post by Boxa » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:41 pm

I rec'd this letter via e-mail today from the TBI Catalog. Can anyone else confirm this information? Got the Garmin for Christmas, just bought the old technology too... now probably won't even use it.

Here's the link to the letter - http://www.tbicatalog.com/TBICatalog2/d ... letter.pdf
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Briarpatch Baby SH
FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Lucky St. Lindy SH
DC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Wendell W. Woodbriar

dan v

Re: AKC Approves Use of Garmin Pending Board Approval

Post by dan v » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:50 am

Got it right from the desk of Doug Ljungren:
April 22, 2009
To: All Pointing Breed Clubs Licensed to Hold Field Trials or Hunt Tests
Subject: The Use of GPS Tracking Devices at Pointing Breed Field Events
The GPS tracking collar is a new piece of equipment available to Pointing Breed owners
and trainers. The availability of this equipment has raised questions concerning its use in
Pointing Breed field events. In January the AKC Performance Events Department wrote
to all Pointing Breed parent clubs briefly explaining the current regulations pertaining to
the use of tracking collars and requesting input regarding the possible acceptance of GPS
tracking devices.
Eight clubs responded. Many individuals also wrote the AKC. Club input was consistent
on a number of issues.*
1. The use of GPS tracking devices should be allowed in Pointing Breed field events.
2. AKC should continue to approve tracking devices before their use is permitted.
3. There are significant concerns about the possible misuse of GPS tracking devices to
aid the handler and scout. AKC should modify the existing tracking collar
regulations in order to address the issues raised by this new technology.
Given the strong consensus regarding the use of GPS tracking devises, the Performance
Events Department will recommend the approval of the Garmin Astro receiver and the
Garmin DC30 collar for use in AKC Pointing Dog field events along with a revised set of
regulations governing the use of tracking devices. The approval of the Garmin unit and
the revised regulations will be effective August 1, 2009, assuming Board approval.
Attached below are the draft regulations. Prior to finalizing, the Performance Events
Department would like to receive comments. This letter is being e-mailed to all clubs
licensed to hold field trials and hunt tests. Clubs are asked to distribute the letter to
interested members. Contact information for submitting comments (from either
individuals or clubs) is provided at the end of the draft regulations.
Thank you for your thoughts as we implement the use of this new technology into our
field events.
Sincerely,
Doug Ljungren
Regulations On the Use of Tracking Devices at AKC Pointing Dog Events
The following are Draft Regulations. Please submit comments no later than June 5.
Final Regulations will be adopted following the comment period. The new
Regulations will become effective August 1, 2009.
The use of tracking devices is solely for locating the dog once the dog is no longer
under judgment. Information obtained through the use of a tracking device must
not be used to aid the handler, scout or judges. The following regulations on their
use will apply.
1. AKC Approved – Only tracking devices approved by the AKC Performance
Events Department will be permitted. The collar and receiver must be used as
received from the manufacturer. No modifications may be made other than
name tags may be added. The collar surface against the dog’s neck shall be
flat. For future units, approval will include both the collar and the receiver.
2. No Receivers Carried by the Handler and Scout – The handler and scout may
not carry a receiver. If they choose to bring their receivers on course, they
must be given to the judges or someone designated by the judges.
3. Receivers in the Gallery Must Be Turned Off – No one in the gallery shall
track the dogs while they are under judgment.
4. No “Outside” Communications - No one shall communicate in any manner
with the handler, scout, judges or gallery any information obtained through
the use of a tracking device while the dogs are under judgment.
5. Receivers May Only Be Used Once the Dog is No Longer Under Judgment –
Receivers shall only be activated once judgment has concluded. If a dog is
gone at time, the dog is still under judgment until the judges indicate
otherwise.
6. Dogs Lost From Previous Braces – If a dog is lost from a previous brace, the
handler and scout may use their receivers during the next brace solely for the
purpose of locating their dog. Once the dog is located, they must immediately
turn off their receivers. They must not communicate any information they
obtain through the use of their receivers concerning the dogs currently under
judgment.
7. Judges May Not Consider Information Obtained Through Tracking Devices –
Judges are not to consider any information obtained through the use of a
tracking device. No one shall use information from a tracking device to
attempt to influence a judge or to discredit the judge’s decision.
8. The use of a tracking collar is an elective by the handler and it is the handler’s
responsibility to furnish the device. The running of a stake shall not be held
up due to the lack of a tracking device.
9. Two-Collar Rule – A dog may wear no more than two collars. All collars
shall be worn on the dog’s neck. If the handler elects to use a tracking collar,
it shall remain on the dog during the entire time the dog is under judgment. If
the handler removes the tracking collar, the dog shall be considered out of
judgment.
10. Tracking Collars Not Allowed in Call Back Situations – Since the use of a
tracking collar is solely for locating the dog, tracking collars are not allowed
in call back situations.
11. The use of tracking devices is at the discretion of the host club. For Field
Trials, the premium list must state that tracking devices are not allowed,
otherwise they will be allowed. For Hunt Tests, the premium list must state
they are allowed, otherwise they will not be allowed.
12. Rescinding Use - Use of specific tracking devices may be rescinded at any
time by the AKC Performance Events Department if the regulations
pertaining to their use become overly difficult to enforce or in the case of
repeated misuse.
In addition, the AKC will clarify the Rules pertaining to scouting. It will be more
clearly stated that “out-riding” by the scout will not be allowed and that the judges
shall instruct scouts to return to the gallery if they feel out-riding is occurring.
Penalty for Misuse of Tracking Devices
The misuse of a tracking device to aid in the handling or scouting of a dog is a
flagrant act of poor sportsmanship and is prejudicial to the sport. The dog shall be
disqualified from the stake. The accused shall be charged with misconduct. If the
event committee determines the charges have been proven, the individuals shall be
immediately suspended from all forms of participation in AKC Pointing Breed
field events.
AKC has not predetermined the penalty that will be imposed. However, AKC will
view this as a flagrant and premeditated act of poor sportsmanship. Penalties may
include any combination of suspension from participation in pointing breed field
events, a monetary fine and the loss of the privilege to use a tracking device for a
future period of time. Further, the AKC will share tracking device misuse
information with the American Field.
Dan

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:00 am

This is great news if indeed it turns out to be true as I lost a dog at a filed trial and it got hit by a car because it had been gone so long and if we would have had the garmin we would have known exactly where he was and got him before he got hit. I have been holding off getting one until they were approoved but if this is the case I will have one just as soon as it is passed because I will not go thru that deal again.
Jerry Alden

2X NGDC/GFC/FC Clk's Point Me The Way ( Allie ) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2765

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Well, just a note of warning, and I think this has been covered in another thread. The died in the wool AA trialers won't use Garmins. The signal strength of the Marshalls is far superior. The collar of a Garmin locates itself by satellite, and the receiver does also, but for the receiver to know where the collar is (and thus the dog), there is a line of sight transmission from the collar to the receiver. Those of us who have used line of sight devices, such as the ecollars, for some years, know that the advertised range is rarely realized in the field because of terrain and cover. People who have tested the devices out in the field will tell you the Marshall can get a signal anywhere, but the effective range of the Garmin is relatively short.

That said, I have a Tracker and a Garmin. I use the Tracker for trials though. The Garmin for hunting, where we always get on a dog right away if it looks like it is getting lost or going over the hill on us.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:34 pm

When training and hunting, I put both a tele collar and the Garmin collar on at the same time - the Garmin because it is cool, fast and convenient (when it works) and the telemetry collar because I want my dog back!! :lol:

In a field trial where I can only use one, a telemetry collar 100%. FWIW, IMO, regarding the tele collars, there isn't particularly one brand any better/any worse than the others - I like the Tracker stuff personally. They're all very operator dependent.

It would be the rare field trial where a participant wouldn't be willing to loan another participant a telemetry collar for their brace - I know it can be tough to ask but beats the alternative of a lost/injured/dead dog like Hunter mentions.

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:57 pm

Well in the shorthair world I do run all age dogs and I will use the Garmin as the new updated version that just came out will range up to 8 miles and I believe it as a friend of mine has one for hunting and we tracked his dog 7 1/2 miles away 2 weeks ago and it was not on flat turane. I have held off until approoved by akc and have used others and I dont like the fact they just tell you what area the dog is in not how he got there whitch is important to me as to what he is doing. I believe 8 miles is far enough for all dogs as if they are that far away your not in consideration by the judges anyway.
Jerry Alden

2X NGDC/GFC/FC Clk's Point Me The Way ( Allie ) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2765

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:03 pm

I have heard reports from several people that out in the western country like what Doug runs in, the Garmin range is more like a mile to a mile and a half. Have not tried them out there myself. The most I have seen is 6 going on 700 yards and that was while out hunting. I knew where the dog was, he was running a far quarter section edge. Would have been a long walk if he had a find over there. My point is though, I can't speak to the max range myself.

I have had good luck with the Tracker like Doug, and have found a dog with it out at Milepost 9 that was a couple of miles away.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:54 pm

I train in lightly rolling to hilly areas with large woods. We're fairly populated and the roads run mile squares and are moderately busy. The Tracker is hopeless because of bounceback - it gives me the same signal 270 out of 360 degrees. The Garmin is accurate 100% of the time, giving me the dog's location at 8/10 to 9/10 mile.
I'm glad the Garmin will be an option in trials, so we can choose the device that suits us best. It's all about recovering our dogs.

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:37 am

Good news that I bought both then, I guess. Never can be too safe. I'd hate to have one lost for good like Hunter mentions.
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Briarpatch Baby SH
FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Lucky St. Lindy SH
DC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Wendell W. Woodbriar

Razor

Post by Razor » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:56 pm

I just read in the new field that they are not allowed in any Championship that is a qualifier for the National Championship (Ames Plantation). Does this mean the AF is not going to allow GPS period???