Events for a WHV

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
hpvizslas

Events for a WHV

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:27 pm

I had a question posed to me on another group about the Wire-haired Vizsla being able to run in AF trials and I believe the answer would be yes, as long as it is able to have a FDSB number. Would anyone be able to tell me for certian?

And with that question, I wonder what field trials would I be able to run in? Would NSTRA, AFTCA and other trials be available? I know that the WHV is not able to run in AKC trials but are able to run in Hunt Tests.

If you have any recommendations, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Jeff

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Re: Events for a WHV

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:45 pm

Why can they run in HT's, but not FT's?

Doug

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:18 pm

As of now, Wire V's are not recognized by the AKC. They are in the beginning stages of being recognized, but as of yet are not fully a recognized breed. So that may have something to do with the FT's, but not for sure why they can run in HT's and not the other.

My question is why would you want to run a Wirehair in FT's, doesn't seem like the best application for the breed?

Brandon

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:27 pm

WHV's are recognized by the AKC under the FSS (Foundation Stock Service). This is the beginning of being recognized and also allows them to participate in non-competitive events such as HT.

Now Brandon onto your question, why would you think that the WHV is not fit to run in field trials? What do you mean by not the best application for the breed? Field trials are meant for breed improvement, putting the best up against the best to decide on the best breeding stock. What would limit thier ability? What do you know about the breed that I don't?

Thanks
Jeff

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:47 pm

The WHV can be tested in NAVHDA...
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:12 pm

Not only the wirehair but the smooth coat Vizsla are meant to be FOOT HUNTING companions.

A wirehair in particular, IN MY OPINION, would be more well suited to the NAVDHA arena. Something that would take advantage of there capabilities in retrieving.

It is not that I want to single out WHV, but most (if not all continental breeds) are not meant to be the large running dogs that you see in FT's. And I disagree with that being your measuring stick for your dog. I would never expect a WHV to run with a EP or ES.

I know that the WHV is listed on the FSS and on its way to being recognized. Hence the comment that I made:
They are in the beginning stages of being recognized, but as of yet are not fully a recognized breed
I did not want to offend, just offering an opinion.

I love the WHV and want to get one myself.
brandon

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Brandon,

I did not take offense to what you said, just did not understand where you were coming from with your comment. I would disagree with the comment of large running dogs that are seen in FT. By that I mean that I don't think field trials were originally designed to be strictly for large running dogs but more for judging the best hunting applications of the bird dog. I do feel that field trials can be entertaining and that it is a good measuring stick. I can see what you are saying but also see it a different way.

In my opinion, it should be more to change the way field trials are judged on how big a race a dog puts out. I think that if more judges would look at application, then you would see more entries into field trials. Horses are meant to be a convenience. There are many handlers that are looking to walking trials to help emphasize the hunting dog that handles well. There is nothing wrong with a dog ranging out, it is the dog's job to cover ground and keep the hunter from having to walk every square mile to find birds. However, the dog must be hunting for the handler and not the other way around. Field trial judges that understand this are what I enjoy running under.

WHV's are a lot of fun. We have a young pup that I think will be a blast. Good luck on your search

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:56 am

I agree with you view of what FT's are suppose to be, the judgement of the best hunting dogs. And a lot of times there are very good dogs that have great training that win the trial. But I think that is not the way a lot of the trials go either.

It is hard to speak in generalities, but a lot of the trialing is about the distance and pushing a dog farther and farther and that is what you have to do to win.

I think you will be fighting an up hill battle, by trying to change the way trials are judged.

brandon

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:48 pm

That is actually not so - that you would be fighting an uphill battle. You would just need to learn how trials are judged and run by the particular clubs. ln our area we have several AKC clubs and an AF club. Some of the AKC clubs run walking dog stakes and some seek judges that judge to a close working dog standard. Personally, that does not thrill me, but to each their own. There is quite a bit of regional variation in how things function, but you will find that dogs are judged to a closer standard at most Irish Setter, Gordon Setter, and Weim trials, and some Britt trials. That is not particularly relevant to the poster's question though, because WHV's are not AKC registrable (other than the foundation stock program).