first try at field trials...advice

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
ultracarry
GDF Junkie

first try at field trials...advice

Post by ultracarry » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 am

I'm thinking about entering my dog in an upcoming ft. Where would you enter a year old gsp? I will be walking and have no doubt she will hold a bird for as long as it takes me to get there. What do they expect of the dog also? I have no clue on ft because I have been using her for hunt tests. I know I need to do research but I want to get the entry in as soon as possible.
Thanks,
Tyler

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: first try at field trials...advice

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:00 pm

I would hold off on entering and go watch the trial and see what is expected. The enter the next trial
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:09 pm

ultracarry wrote:...Where would you enter a year old gsp? I will be walking and have no doubt she will hold a bird for as long as it takes me to get there.
That is the definition of a "derby". I am not too familiar with the GSP trials, but if there are any American Field walking trials in your neck of the woods, you could enter the derby. Where are you from?

As a derby the judges are looking for a dog that would make a good shooting dog. They only need to be steady to the flush and I have actually seen derbies chasing a wild flush and placed. They are looking for a dog to run, stay in the "10-2 pocket" - no looping from behind or "yo-yoing" back to the handler a lot. Independence, hit objectives, stay to the front and be "going away" at the end. Remember in AF, it is NOT a bird finding competition, 1-3 good finds is all you need (if that). Some are placed on run alone.

As k9 states, maybe go watch one first, but if not, enter the derby, talk to the chairperson, anyone else there and the judges (when it is appropriate). Usually everyone there is looking to help.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:34 pm

I'm in southern ca. It would be a AKC event. I think I will hold off and run her in Jan. I will go watch the Derby dogs this event. Maybe even the puppy... I think that's up to 18 months.
As of now I'm working on her SH... one for one so far.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Best of luck and keep us posted. Congrats on the SH work...keep it up, she is a looker!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:48 pm

ultracarry wrote:I'm in southern ca. It would be a AKC event. I think I will hold off and run her in Jan. I will go watch the Derby dogs this event. Maybe even the puppy... I think that's up to 18 months.
As of now I'm working on her SH... one for one so far.
I don't know a lot about FTs, but from the two AKC Walking Puppy stakes we entered, no birds were put out...and it was pretty easy just to enter and show up--not having ever seen one run before. We managed to get a placement, which made for a fun first time outing. It helped that when I contacted an event member prior to entering, he was reassuring that we wouldn't be a problem, and he was very helpful that day. Based on my experience, I wouldn't be afraid of entering Puppy and watching Derby while you're there, to see if it's something you want to do. Good luck in the future!

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:12 pm

If it is an AKC trial, and the dog is less than 15 months old, and you have a pass at SH, then by all means, I would enter your dog in puppy and Derby. Go out have fun and ask questions. The only way to learn is to do. If your dog doesn't do well, then ask what it needs to do different. Good luck

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:20 pm

Are you really sure that the 1 year old puppy is going to stand while that pen-raised bird is walking around fat, dumb and easy to catch in front of it? If not, I'd stick to puppy stakes where no birds are put out till you are sure. Don't want them catching those pen birds, it'll make a lot of work for you.

Greg J.

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Tyler, there is an "all walking" trial that will be held at the Sportsman's Ridge Hunt Club December 11-12th.

Here is the premium for the trial, http://scvizsla.com/attachments/SCVizsl ... Prem10.pdf

This would be a great start to get your feet wet. Enter your dog in both Puppy and Derby and go there with an open mind and a good attitude and have fun.

The owner of your pups grand daddy NAFC FC/AFC Reo Pawnee will be there judging. If you haven't already met Don Dalton this would be a great opportunity to meet him and possibly get to meet Rusty.

If you do go tell Don I said hello

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:55 pm

First if she's 15 months or younger you can enter her in puppy. You can also enter her in derby. As a judge I've helped people who've never run a dog in an event with an open mind. Some judges will not. They expect perfection, I don't. Not at a newcomers level. Tell them you're new and most will help with anything you need. As far as derby you can run til they are two years at the time of the run date. Go have fun and good luck. Tell Don Dalton Ken Levy says I. I've known him for along time.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:47 pm

Ya the one year old pup will stand with a fat chukar running in front of her lol.

Thanks for the advice. I'll prob watch on Saturday because I made plans to do a short triathlon with the wife on Sunday. Or can you enter dogs for one day like a hunt test?

You folks are a lot of help and take the guess work out of it. I only have been running my dog for fun and don't take things to seriously. I think that's why she likes me:).

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:46 am

Greg Jennings wrote:Are you really sure that the 1 year old puppy is going to stand while that pen-raised bird is walking around fat, dumb and easy to catch in front of it? If not, I'd stick to puppy stakes where no birds are put out till you are sure. Don't want them catching those pen birds, it'll make a lot of work for you.

Greg J.
ultracarry wrote:As of now I'm working on her SH... one for one so far.
Note the quote from the OP? So the dog has already been exposed to "that pen-raised bird is walking around fat, dumb and easy to catch in front of it."

The only thing I'd caution is that the bracemate may not have the level of training on it his/her dog does, so it could cause a set-back in the SH training. Not to say the dog couldn't get mugged during a SH attempt, but odds are greater in OP/OD.
Dan

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:57 am

[quote="ultracarry"]Thanks for the advice. I'll prob watch on Saturday because I made plans to do a short triathlon with the wife on Sunday. Or can you enter dogs for one day like a hunt test?quote]

Talk with the FT chairman or Sec. They should be able to give you an idea of what will be running on what day. Good luck and have fun.

Casper

Post by Casper » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:41 am

Tyler,

According to the premium Puppy will start on Saturday after the start of Open Gun Dog. Derby will start after Puppy. Give the Secretary a call and make sure that the derby will be finished by the end of the day on Sat. My assumption would be that they will since the juvenile stakes are being run on a separate course. If she says it will then get your entries in.

Also note there will be birds released in the puppy stake :roll:

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:33 am

Hey Ty, check out South Coast Vizsla Walking Field Trial Premium. Pm me your email and I'll shoot you the flyer.Troy
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson